Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need new PC: Parhelia or Ati 9700

This is not a flame.. just a question for a decision I need to make:

I am a happy G450 user at the moment. It is just that its speed isnt all that great. I plan on buying a new PC real soon. Since my boss is going to pay ..

Now I have a dillema . I think the Parhelia is nice but its too expensive.. I could afford it but I am not sure if it is worth it. I might as well wait a few weeks for the Radeon 9700?

Then again: on paper the Parhelia is a blast. Is there any hope for problems to be fixed for a massive increase in speed?

2D is important, but I dont think the ATi would do bad on my 19" IIYAMA Vision Master Pro.. or would the Parhelia be significantly better?

- Sigh - Give me hope .. or should I go for ATi and not feel the pain for leaving Matrox?

Wait and see the reviews on the Ati. I'm doing the same as work is getting me a new machine (Just delaying it at the moment)

Comment

Important question: Are you going to use more than 1 monitor or not ?

Comment

I use 2 Nec 18" LCDs. These have in their time been connected to a G400, ATI Mobility & GeForce2Go chipsets all capable of running 2 screens.

All these chipsets have pretty much the same controls i.e. Move window from screen 1 to 2 with the press of a hotkey.

The only benefit of the P over ATI is that it can run 3 monitors. Even then it is in stretched mode which is a pain to work with.

Comment

It has other benefits as well since it does everything in hardware on the first two monitors. Try running DVD on the second monitor in non [M]atrox cards and you'll see what it's like.

Not to mention that there is no comparison between DH and Twinview, just try the two and you'll see the difference(s).

Comment

What is the difference between Twinview & Dualhead?

They seem to work exactly the same way to me.

If I have the option of DvD on 2nd monitor or a card that will be able to run the latest games then unfortunately it will be Ati.

Will still wait and read the reviews of the Ati before deciding. I would really like to get the P but I don't want outdated technology straight away.

Comment

Wow .. keep on topic people .. I am not using more then one monitor .. perhaps later on I might do something with a TV though.

Comment

What will you be using the machine for? Mainly gaming or serious work.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Usage:

Internet, regular office apps.. some DTP apps. Video playback (mpeg).. TV out .. And some games like fifa soccer .. I am not a game freak but I like some games. And I'd like my PC to be capable to do it ..

Comment

Originally posted by Jacco Hoeve
                    Usage:

Internet, regular office apps.. some DTP apps. Video playback (mpeg).. TV out

Nothing can touch [M]atrox for these.

Comment

Nothing can touch [M]atrox for these.
                      What about MPEG? Does the parhelia have as much MPEG support as ATi does? How about on the second monitor? Or is that DVD-Max? And can that be DVD Max be used for TV-out?

I am tempted..

Comment

Jacco, the Parhelia doesn't have as much MPEG acceleration as the ATI does, but does it really matter ? You said you were getting a new computer, and as long as you are not getting a PII 500Mhz whatever CPU you get will easily run DVD and MPEG4 without even noticing...

Cobos
                        My Specs
                        AMD XP 1800+, MSI KT3 Ultra1, Matrox G400 32MB DH, IBM 9ES UW SCSI, Plextor 32X SCSI, Plextor 8x/2x CDRW SCSI, Toshiba 4.8X DVD ROM IDE, IBM 30GB 75GXP, IBM 60GB 60GXP, 120GB Maxtor 540X, Tekram DC390F UW, Santa Cruz Soundcard, Eizo 17'' F56 and Eizo 21'' T965' Selfmodded case with 2 PSU's.

Comment

Jacco, the Parhelia doesn't have as much MPEG acceleration as the ATI does, but does it really matter ? You said you were getting a new computer, and as long as you are not getting a PII 500Mhz whatever CPU you get will easily run DVD and MPEG4 without even noticing...
                          Its value for many I am concerned for on that bit.
                          ATI is better for DVD/MPG..

TV-out is probably untested.. oh well

Comment

ATI has Mpeg acceleration ?

They have IDCT and MC. As far as I know, P has MC but not IDCT.
                            Anyway, software IDCT gives better quality (with a good cpu) than hardware IDCT.

DVD-MAX means you can see movies (Mpeg, Divx and propably other codecs as well) full screen on your 2nd monitor (TV included).

Comment

Thanks dogbert..

Ok so except for the price the Matrox is good cause I dont play too many games.. ?!

Conclusion: I need to P? I meant: I need a P ..

Comment

Working...
                              X