Market Share and Matrox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Market Share and Matrox

Heres a question. I ran accross an article on the net about GFX cards "Market Share" It had Nvidia/ATI with something like 70-80% of the market split between them and the rest of it spilt between SiS, PowerVR, and others. I was wondering where M fits into this and how much market share they have...but I dont recall if ther article was counting sales to OEMs or Retail stores like CompUSA or your mom and pop computer stores.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Best guess would be 10-15%. The balance probably goes to high end pro cards (used for CAD). ATi and Nvidia have the largest, partially due to OEM sales, and the fact that video cards sell on who has the highest frame rate this week.

Just don't bring up the questions like:
    1. Are the drivers stable
    2. Hows the image quality on a 19" monitor at resolutions higher than 1024x768

Fortunately or not, Direct X and OpenGL games have dictated the consumer market. Just try doing some decent Photoshop work with a Nvidia card...

I'd love to see Matrox convice CompUSA, Best Buy or (sorry for using foul language) Frys to sell their cards. The Parhelia definitely could be a decent consumer card, if it could reach the normal retail markets (and maybe with a slight price drop...hint hint).

Comment

The marketshare was recently discussed on Ars Forums.

Important thing is how high is marketshare in which segment (price margins).

According to this press release, Nvidia expected to have an installed base of 5 million GeForce-based products by the beginning of this year. This includes the GF256 up to the GF3 Ti. Since the GF256 was released in late '99, this means Nvidia pretty much sold 5 million cards based on their GeForce-series of chips in two years.
      What we're concerned about here is the fact that Matrox doesn't have a big portion of the market - let's say they only have 5% at the current moment. So what? How big is the market? There were about 130 million PCs shipped last year. The actual size of the graphics market is larger since many PCs actually ship with two video cards (unused integrated video on the motherboard) and we haven't yet factorer in aftermarket sales. So 5% of the market means, at the very least, 6.5 million cards shipped. Are you saying that you can't make a profit when you sell 6.5 million cards a year? Matrox may not be in line to take the crown away from Nvidia but its not like they're on their way out. Via/S3 dipped below the 5% mark for a good 3/4 of a year and its not like they dropped out of the market.
      The price of G cards is 115$ (G450) to 150$ (G550 Dual DVI).

[M] should be doing pretty good aginst competition in that price segment. About as much G cards sold as GeForce based cards.

(Most of those nVidia cards are el cheapo TNTs)
      Last edited by UtwigMU; 31 July 2002, 12:28.

Comment

Working...
      X