• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't all rush but win2kSP3 available from here

it's 124Mb for those that need to know!

Great!

Now I'l only have to wait untill the swedish version
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

cool bananas, cheers for that
      Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

excellent, been waiting for that

Comment

Say hi to Bill for me.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Now read the EULA. Nice to know that by installing this SP you are also giving Bill the right to hack your system.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Still downloading, which part indicates this?

Edit:
              Ahh this part:

* If you choose to utilize the update features within the OS
              Product or OS Components, it is necessary to use certain
              computer system, hardware, and software information to
              implement the features. By using these features, you
              explicitly authorize Microsoft or its designated agent to
              access and utilize the necessary information for updating
              purposes. Microsoft may use this information solely to
              improve our products or to provide customized services or
              technologies to you. Microsoft may disclose this
              information to others, but not in a form that personally
              identifies you.

* The OS Product or OS Components contain components that
              enable and facilitate the use of certain Internet-based
              services. You acknowledge and agree that Microsoft may
              automatically check the version of the OS Product and/or its
              components that you are utilizing and may provide upgrades
              or fixes to the OS Product that will be automatically
              downloaded to your computer.

One would have to say, why should they have the right to give this info to others. Otherwise the first part seems reasonable. The second part needs to be worded better to refer to using the components auto-update features which of course should be opt-in but of course they are opt out if at all.
              Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 31 July 2002, 09:28.

Comment

Well if anyone has installed XP as part of dual boot system and Nortonn speed disk fails to run afterwards this seems to fix it.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

If the "auto uppgrade" is implemented as in XP it should be easy to "Neuter" it
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

How does one 'neuter' the auto update feature (in 2k). All I could find was the following, in the registry:

Under
                    HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ WindowsUpdate\Auto Update

there are 3 keys:

(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
                    AUOptions Reg_DWORD 0x00000000 (0)
                    LastWait Timeout REG_SZ 2002.08:40:42

(hmmm, can't seem to get the spacing correct in my message but hopefully you'll be able to interpret it correctly)

Don't know if this was in the registry before installing service pack 3 or not.

Is there something that needs to be changed here? Should I be looking for something else?

Comment

Should I be looking for something else?
                      How about an operating system written by people who aren't so supremely arrogant that they think they are entitled to install back doors to your computer as "features."

Yeah, they are so concerned about IP rights, as long as they aren't their customer's.

Comment

Thanks, but that's not a very practical answer to my question.

Anyone out there have a 'useful' answer?

Comment

Victorian

Had a look in registry on an unpatched (only SP2 currently without autoupdate patch installed) and the key you refer to is not there in the same format.

One of our clever and more experienced brothers/sisters will chime in soon enough though - hang in there
                          Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by LvR
                            Victorian

Had a look in registry on an unpatched (only SP2 currently without autoupdate patch installed) and the key you refer to is not there in the same format.

One of our clever and more experienced brothers/sisters will chime in soon enough though - hang in there

Cool, I suspect it's either a matter of changing the middle key or deleting the whole thing but I don't want to mess with it until, hopefully, someone who knows more about it chimes in with some info.

Comment

Here's how I do it. Not only for W2k but for other software that might try and phone home.. I have Sygate installed and refuse NTkernel permission to access the internet when it wants to.

Comment

Working...
                              X