I hate outlook express

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate outlook express

Someone was asking about identies so I created one and then deleted it and switched back to the main identity. Everything was fine until I shut it down and reloaded. All my mail had gone as had all the other folders. The matching dbx files had also gone and weren't in Nortons Recycle bin.
    Even using unerase didn't pull any files up.
    Even more annoying if I create another new identity and then delete it the folders that get deleted are recoverable.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Accursed Outlook Express! Oh how I loathe thee!

Although it doesn't help your current predicament ... might I suggest you try Eudora 5.1? I've been using it in the free/sponsored mode for a fortnight now and it's quite good. Far better than OE.
    "You win again gravity!"

Comment

I hate Outlook Express too, thats why I use Mozilla's mail client.
      Bloody Outlook is a magnet for viruses and full of holes, like most things Microsoft.
      Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Erm, Outlook is full of holes, huh?

Funny how I've never gotten a single virus through it.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by ralf
          Pit,
          What OS?
          Win2k
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

You must be one of the lucky few who's email address is known only to people who have either up to date virus scanners or who dont use Outlook Express.

The problem isnt as much YOUR install of OE, but everyone elses.
            Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Originally posted by RichL
              You must be one of the lucky few who's email address is known only to people who have either up to date virus scanners or who dont use Outlook Express.
              Eh??
              I wouldn't have a problem if the dbx files hadn't disappeared.
              As for virus's I haven't had one either at home or at work.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

OE works fine for me (so far), got many viruses but I knew better than to open those mails

Comment

my experience

cool, I will upgrade from outllook express to outlook 2000.

hmm...convert my addressbook, sure what a great idea....

oh oh,... convert oviously means destroy all contact groups except for personal contacts, easy mistake to make

no worries, I still have my old address book in express(oulook 2000 sniggers in the background)

#$%%@$%

I don't like outlook either.....why oh why did I ever stop using eudora, feck even the built in email client in opera is less problematic

its working now but, I know its waiting to get me again!!!!

Comment

Once you're converted to Outlook 2000/2k2, you're all set.

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by ralf
                      Are you sure you looked for the .dbx files at the right place?
                      Sounds odd if they disappeared without trace, no?
                      Maybe they have been renamed but not deleted, whereby you won´t find them in the rec. bin or through unerase of course.
                      They´re only "good" if they have the exact proper names.

Edit: little test.
                      I made a new identity, closed and reopened, deleted the new identity. Result: nothing happened to my main ID, and the the .dbx-files of the deleted identity still on HD.
                      This in win98SE though (at work).
                      I searched the entire C drive so unless they become hidden and moved to a different place they've gone. Yes it does sound odd.
                      If they been renamed how the hell do I find them.
                      Yes when I deleted the test id's everything was fine. I then restarted outlook and bam nothing.

I think I may go to outlook and leave express for testing as thats what 90% of other users will be using. (Express that is)

Strangly all mine email filtering rules and address books have stayed intact.
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Nope no backup folder. Just three folders with the standard empty folders in them. Thats ignoring the microshaft message saying thank you for using outshaft express.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Full of holes, hmmmm. I've gotten more viruses through floppy disks than through email. In fact, the only one I got through email(Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express home and work) was the I love you virus at work because some smuck opened it the night before on my machine through Outlook web. I got more hits from B1, NYB and the stoned virus each than all of email.

As for blaming Outlook Express for deleting the files, you should have backed up you email before messing with something you did not understand.

Hmm, Let me try.

Added:
                          Tried it. No problems. What profile were you in during the deletion? If you were in the new profile and tried to delete one, the only one you could have deleted is the main one. If that was the case, you chose to delete the wrong one and its files along with it.
                          Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 30 July 2002, 13:05.

Comment

I will upgrade from outlook express to outlook 2000.
                            I am doing the reverse.

Outlook Express is free, faster, doesn't crash when you add a new contact and doesn't store data in an enormous PST glob.

My new Calendar is <a href="http://www.calendarscope.com/screenshots.html">CalendarScope</a>.
                            My new Journal is <a href="http://www.treepad.com/treepadfreeware/">Treepad</a>.
                            My new To-do list is <a href="http://atnotes.fr.st/">AtNotes</a>.

In fact, all of Office is being wiped. Goodbye Orifice, hello <a href="http://www.software602.com/products/pcs/">602Suite</a>!

Soon, the only MS products left on the computer will be Outlook Express and XP itself.

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama

As for blaming Outlook Express for deleting the files, you should have backed up you email before messing with something you did not understand.

Hmm, Let me try.

Okay you got me on that one.

Added:
                              Tried it. No problems. What profile were you in during the deletion? If you were in the new profile and tried to delete one, the only one you could have deleted is the main one. If that was the case, you chose to delete the wrong one and its files along with it.
                              I was in the new profile the oringal one is still there except for the missing folders. Even if I did delete the wrong one the files they should have gone somewhere.
                              Interestingly someone else has messed with profiles on a laptop and the folders are still there. However the problem is that the they cannot be restored even using the simple method. Anyway I'm not doing that job.
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X