Is nvidia such a bad company ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is nvidia such a bad company ?

3dfx were bought by nvidia cause 3dfx were dieing, not because nvidia is evil so no harm done here.

In fact, nvidia did quite a few good things. First of all they innovated, which in turn brought competition. Thanks to their rapid development, ATI had to wake up and start to innovate as well. IMHO, if not them, Radeon 9xxx wouldn't see the light of day, at least not so soon and the Parhelia would have been nothing but a fantasy. In fact, I wouldn't like to imagine our situation without nvidia. If not for them, the market would still be ruled by Voodoo X000 (3500-5000), Radeon (the 1st one), G400 and Kyro II.

It's not that I'm saying let's go thank nvidia, but maybe they don't deserve THAT much bashing a-la 'nvidiot' style.

Try to keep the flames to yourselves.

well that is the idea of competition... on the other hand oversaturating the market and creating a sort of monopoly is not that healthy.... then there is the issue of loyalty.... i dont care muchabout any other card maker other than Matrox..... regardles if they can make a good GPU or not... simply beacuse i care more about quality than usless speed....
    "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Not as much a bad company but some of the business practices they have. I dont think you where around but there was a big migration of Matrox Workers to nvidia a couple years ago and it was done in what seemed to be an illegal matter. Matrox tried to sue over the matter, but far as a I know there wasn't a public outcome to the case or it was thrown out of court. I'm sure other people will chime in with more info and why they are "bad" company
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I don´t think nvidia forced their competition to actually innovate new stuff, most of the stuff nvidia brought to the consumer market have been used in the proffessional market some time(if not in hardware then in software), before nvidia brought them out anyway, it was just a matter of who released it first in the consumer market.

its not like an nv30 can do something, industrial light and magic or pixar hasn´t been doing for years, nvidia just took ideas from that area and implemented them in their gpus, if they didn´t released it first then somebody else would.

nvidia, isn´t the driving force in the 3d-world, they are just a part of the race.
        This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

GT98, I remember it. This is how they got their "twinview" to work.
          Since we never heard of [M]atrox winning the case, it propably seemed illegal but was still within the law. Competition can be nasty and dirty as hell. We see it everywhere. Seriously, if I'd hear about such a migration from ATI &| Creative &| nvidia &| etc to [M]atrox, I'd be pretty happy. More than that, legal or not, I'd call the other companies whiners and losers cause those workers did it freely. If they chose to go work for X, X must be better for them. Seems like nvidia had the better offer that day.
          Anyway, we say here that the nature of a wheel is to turn, so one day you're up and the other you're down.

And to be honest, I don't want [M]atrox ever to be the strongest kid in the block, nor AMD. I like them better as the underdogs. Let Intel, M$ and nvidia be the evil empire while we stay as the rebels

Comment

I just find that Nvidia is rapidly becoming like MS. Creating a monopoly. They are trying to take over practically every market with Nforce. By a motherboard with the Nforce on it, it comes with a Geforce vide card, Nvdia onboard audio, LAN etc. Nvidia chipset.

Then they team with Microsoft to put the run on Sony and Nintendo by creating the XBOX.

they didn't buy 3DFX because they wanted to 3DFX name or technology. More like, let's buy them now that they're down and out before they can rebuild.
            #1 DRILL SERGEANT PICK-UP LINE

"You make me hornier before 9 AM than most
            people do all day!"

Comment

I disagree Strahd.
              3dfx had some real technological innvations nvidia would have killed to own. To name a few: best fsaa on the block, gigapixel, sli etc.

Comment

and 3dfx didn't survive until the lawsuits against nV came around in court... not to mention that there also was a lawsuit that SGI won against them which was similar to Matrox claim.

Yes they are trying to create a monoply just like Strahd claims. Many companies don't like nV... just look at how many OEM contracts have been lost/companies no longer carry thier products after being burned by them... even M$ is not so happy with them (look atthe XBox fiasco).

There are other things that they have stolen (outside of DH) that is now on the market. I cannot comment specifically on what they are, but regardless I will not ever be purchasing any nV product ever and will do whatever I can to discourage anyone I know from purchasing their products based on this insight.

If you look at how this company is run, the insider trading (and are being slapped down hard by the SEC and investors atm for it) technology stolen (I would love to say all that I do know here... blasted NDA's always get inthe way) of which so much of all that they have is based on. They are nothing more than a bad seed, bullying their way to the top, manipulating everything and doing a fine job of decieving all that they can on this wild ride at the top.
                Last edited by Greebe; 29 July 2002, 07:32.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Greebe,

Makes one think about the lawsuite DEC had against Intel...

Comment

If you take away all that they have stolen (regardless of how slick their lawyers are at manplulating the facts) they would not have the market share or the products to have what they do today.
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Yes, someone needed to push the envelope a little in terms of innovation, but nVidia has done a lot of harm as well.

They set back 2D display quality by 15 years.

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

I'm not so sure about that Gurm.
                        Since nvidia came and rampaged the market, some companies (gladly) disappeared.
                        I'd take any nvidia shit over Cirrus Logic (anyone remember that terrible 5446) or the S3 horrors.

Greebe, I totally agree with that. I guess that like most inflated things, the air will come out of this baloon in a while. I just hope they won't die. Re-hating ATI is kind of lame, don't you think ?

Comment

in the case ATI vs Greebe I've dropped far too much money into products from them in the past only to have the worst driver headaches ever. Not burned once or twice now mind you, many many times. They don't deserve any money from me until they can resolve my past experiences (and those of my poor clients too) for the loss of productivity and nightmere's/psychological damage they've induced.

Comment

I lost a few $$$ over them as well, but as with every bad product, I managed to get rid of them quite easily

Comment

So did I... it's called a dumpster

Comment

Working...
                              X