SiS645 - The weakest link?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SiS645 - The weakest link?

I am at my wits end with this problem so I'm hoping anyone can help.

Since I upgraded my machine to a MSI 645 Ultra P4 board and started running winXP I have had a problem in OpenGL. If sound is active then any openGL application will lock the computer hard after a random period of time.

I have not been able to play jedi knight II at all since I bought it 8-(

The soundcard is a Vortex 2, and I've never heard of such a problem with the vortex 2, but I spose no-one is using them any more, hence the lack of winXP drivers that haven't been written by microsoft.

I thought it was a gfx card problem until firday when I replaced my KYRO II with a lovely little radeon 8500LE and was gutted to discover it made no difference (apart from the resolution at which it dies ).

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could try before I give up, remove the card and use the onboard sound on the motherboard? Just removing the vortex card hasn't helped so I'm thinking that the drivers may have screwed up something in windows. If I'm going to go with the onboard sound I'm going to have to reinstall the whole damn OS and that's a real pain.

ANy suggestions would be gratefully appreciated - or links to SiS645 faqs / boards as I've been able to find jack about problems / issues with the board except on the SiS website that tells me nothing.

Uberlad
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

MSI 645 Ultra. You are the weakest link. Goodbye!

Comment

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the MB. How are the IRQs?
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have several SiS systems here and no problems with AGP or 3D cards.

Don't want to sound obvious, but did you install the AGP & other drivers? What about the BIOS's AGP settings?

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

What about that XP/Athlon bug? MS has a hotfix for it.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

645=P4

any extra opengl.dll's laying around anywhere?

go to rage3d.com forums, they have a thread about cleaning out drivers, then try reinstalling the latest driivers for your vidoe card.

PS I am assuming you already, have the latest bios and sis chipset drivers...especially the AGP one, do that first

Comment

Damn - you go to sleep for eight hours and people write loads of help

Latest 3D drivers
              Latest motherboard drivers
              Latest SiS AGP drivers

I have tried a number of AGP settings (well, apeture sizes as there's very little else to change in the BIOS)

IRQ's - Not looking bad -

SiSoftware Sandra

0 : System timer
              1 : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
              3 : COM2
              3 : Communications Port (COM2)
              4 : COM1
              4 : Communications Port (COM1)
              5 : MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
              6 : Standard floppy disk controller
              7 : SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
              7 : SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
              8 : System CMOS/real time clock
              9 : Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
              11 : RADEON 8500 / RADEON 8500LE
              11 : Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
              12 : Aureal Vortex 8830 Audio (WDM)
              12 : Tekram DC-395U/UW or DC-315/U PCI Ultra SCSI Host Adapter
              12 : Vortex Multifunction PCI Parent
              13 : Numeric data processor
              14 : Primary DMA Channel
              15 : Secondary DMA Channel

I've just noticed that there's a new BIOS out for the card, so I@ll try that tonight after work.

Keep the suggestions coming in - I tried installing win2K on a mini partition and it displays the same behaviour. ALthgouh it was even worse before installing the motherboard drivers and AGP driver.

Uberlad

Comment

If you can get the realtek card off the same irq as the 8500. I've had one or two quirks when sharing irq's with the 8500 on my setup.
                What version of Radeon drivers are you using. I suggest using Cyborg/Oemga drivers as an alternative.
                Try also slowing you system memory down and if theres an option try giving it more voltage in the bios.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Umm... I'm noticing... that you aren't running in ACPI mode. Some special reason why not? I can't help you if you aren't in ACPI mode... and neither can anyone else really. New motherboards aren't intended to run in legacy mode - at least not really well.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Am I not running in ACPI??? What's the ACPI IRQ then? And the fact that my computer is described as being 'ACPI complicant computer' in windows device manager? Am I being stupid? Is it the kind of ting that muggins here might have turned off in the BIOS before installing windows, and set himself up for a world of hurt?

I will try getting the other cards off the IRQ tonight, and try woefully underclocking the PC2100 memory to see if that helps at all.

Uberlad

Comment

Erm, yes you are running an "ACPI compliant system", but the ACPI mode might be off in the BIOS. See if there's a newer BIOS, too - because you DEFINITELY aren't in "APIC" (not ACPI, APIC) mode, or else you'd have IRQ's higher than 15.

Your IRQ list looks JUST like an IRQ list from a non-ACPI machine. Which could very well be part of your problem.

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Curse - nothing in the BIOS even mentions APIC.

Am awaiting the return of my winME bootdisk to put on the latest BIOS - but the release notes seem to suggest that it only fixes a bug with Zip drives.

I@ll give it another go tomorrow night.

Uberlad

Comment

The APIC is what allows higher IRQ's. I'm not saying it ISN'T in ACPI mode - anything is possible. It just doesn't look like it.

You may need to fiddle with variations on the "Plug 'n' Play OS" and "ACPI" switches in the registry. You could also try the manufacturer's forums, or their group on Google. There might be a hack or a known fix for your troubles.

- Gurm

Comment

For APIC to show >IRQ's on an NT kerneled system the OS has to be installed with APIC enabled.

If you install the OS and then turn on APIC you will see the usual Win2K/XP IRQ sharing.

Dr. Mordrid
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

As I say - no mention of APIC in the BIOS, or even the Plug and PLay OS stuff. The thing is it's a pheonix BIOS and thus I have very little expereicne of it (being an AMI guy for the last 6 years).

I have forced the realtek card onto IRQ 7, and that appears to have fixed the problem, at least in GL Excess that was locking the machine last night but will now run through the demo fine a couple of times.

More testing tonight - along with the grand Jedi Knight opening (we hope).

I'll follow up the rest of the suggestions, and update if good / bad / I can blame windows.

Uberlad

Comment

Working...
                              X