Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SiS set to overtake Via in chipset sales

link here

VIA Technologies may lose its crown as Taiwan’s largest core logic chipset designer to Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) in the second half, if Advanced Micro Devices’ (AMD) market share continues to drop, the Market Intelligence Center (MIC) said.

Lacking the boost of new products, AMD has started losing market presence in the past few quarters. VIA, being the biggest AMD-based chipset supplier, began to see its market share falling accordingly in the second quarter.

According to MIC, VIA’s global market share in the second quarter reached marginally over 20%, with Pentium III and K7-platform chipsets being its primary products. SiS, boosted by its rising P4 chipset shipments and increasing chipset sales from the notebook sector, was estimated to enjoy a share of 20%, slightly lower than VIA’s.

VIA is in danger of losing its current market status to SiS, MIC noted, as VIA’s market share may plunge to 15% in the third quarter and even below 15% in the fourth, if AMD fails to expand its own market share.

Meanwhile, VIA and SiS will keep feeling the pressure from Intel in the second half. Industry sources said that the chip giant’s aggressive price cuts on its chipsets and Pentium 4 processors in August and September, respectively, as well as its recent endeavor in the low-end integrated chipset market would no doubt have a great impact on VIA and SiS.

For VIA, as Intel’s new Socket 478-based Celeron processors are set to hit the market in large scale in the third quarter, AMD products may be faced with fiercer competition. SiS, given its higher brand recognition in the low-end integrated chipset segment, is expected to compete directly with Intel’s line of integrated chipsets.

In the new P4 platform, Intel has not only tried to cultivate its high-end market as usual, but also devoted itself much to the low-end integrated chipset segment. Following its 845GL chipset, the company formally announced in its latest roadmap that it will launch an updated version, the 845GV, in the fourth quarter.
    Suprised that they also failed to mention the shitty PCI implementation and Crappy 4 in 1 drivers they Turn out. I've used a SiS chipset in my last two PC builds and they have to be the best boards since the BX I've had the pleasure to use.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

I really like the absence of headaches the SIS 745 chipset offers me. There is only one complaint: AGP Fast writes appear to be disabled and thus show lower benchmarks for any Gcard installed. Not a real biggie tho... I'd rather have a fast stable headache free system than one with a buggy driver history and lower bandwidth.

IMHO It took VIA way too freakin long to write decient drivers and that is an even larger reason for their market share loss.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I totally agree with both of the previous posts. This has been a long time coming, but can only help to improve the breed by forcing VIA into finally fixing their chipsets. If not then I hope VIA drops dead

One thing is for sure: I can't wait to see what the Opteron will do in a SiS 760 mainboard

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

They shouldn't need to spend a long time writing good drivers. 90% of their 4 in 1 driver is to work around bugs in their chipsets. Most of those work arounds don't fully work.
        I should have bought an ATI.

Comment

I wish they would get around to fixing there chipsets rather than sticking there head in the ground and denying it. Everytime a new bug appears they deny it and then say it happens on intel chipsets as well.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Good news! I am also using a SiS-745 chipset and it works great, I haven't had a single problem with it yet, while VIA gave me many headaches
            Specs:
            MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

Working...
            X