PDA

View Full Version : America's Army and UT2k3 Benchmarks



GT98
27th July 2002, 09:18
I did alittle bit of playing around today with America's Amry and UT2K3 to see what type of benchmark numbers I would get. Nothing too sciencitific..just starting up a game and turning on the FPS counter. All testing was done with the lastest drivers downloaded yesterday.

I first started with America's Army, a Unreal 2002 Engine based game like UT2K3. I ran at 1024x768 and 1280x1024...With both resolutions I was avg. about 30 FPS while going through the US weapons Quaification. With FAAx16 turned off I gained about 5-7 fps. I lost 10 fps in both resolutions (with FAAx16 and off) when i picked up a weapon. What was interesting to me after finding out the number FPS I was running...the Parhelia ran the game much smoother then the Radeon 8500 I had in before it.

Next up was UT2K3, which I ran that at 1024x768 and 1280x1024. When I was first put in my Parhelia, it was noticably slower then the R8500 to my eyes. I did some benchmarks doing a Single player deathmatch with about 5 bots. My Avg FPS Ranged from 30-45 FPS, with a MAJOR Dip in FPS when I came up to any Steam/fog type effect on the screen...I slowed down to about 7 fps.

Overall both games are Very playable...but a 10-15 fps increase would be nice in both cases. Both Games are betas, though America's Army is more or less a late beta, where as the Demo I have for UT2K3 is more a late Aphla/early Beta build. Plus add the immaturaty of the Parhelia's drivers, there should/hopefully be a nice increase in performance from both the games and drivers I hope when the finals come out.

Scott

103er-Fan
28th July 2002, 10:09
Hmmm, I hope especially for UT2k3 that there will be some performance boost in the final version of the game!

Wienerschnitzl
29th July 2002, 03:13
Originally posted by GT98

(...)
Next up was UT2K3, which I ran that at 1024x768 and 1280x1024. When I was first put in my Parhelia, it was noticably slower then the R8500 to my eyes. I did some benchmarks doing a Single player deathmatch with about 5 bots. My Avg FPS Ranged from 30-45 FPS, with a MAJOR Dip in FPS when I came up to any Steam/fog type effect on the screen...I slowed down to about 7 fps. (...)
hi,
i had the exact opposite experience.
on the Parhelia it was much faster than on the R8500.
AND, there where a lot of graphical errors with the R8500...
System: W2K, Tyan TigerMP, MP1600+, 512MB, DMXfire Soundcard

the steam/fog-Problem i also noticed, but my guess is that in future verions of the game
the Parhelia is better detected and works a lot faster than now.