Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT... need help with Nero!

Hi Guys,

I just bought an external CD Burner from Benq, we hooked it up to a Think Pad T21 running Win2K running great.

It cam with a version of Nero 5.5 so we installed it and MAN did it cause havoc to the internal and external CD Rom drives.

Now both the internal and the burner show up with a Yellow exclamation mark and remain after we uninstalled Nero.

I recall this happening when I installed DVDit a long time ago, but not like this.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Elie

Nero 5 buggered up my W2k system completely (I was intending to u/g to 5.5). I could find no recovery method that worked and had to reinstall W2k and all applications (fortunately only half-a-dozen) from scratch. 'Tis the only thing that has done that to my W2k which is stable (before and after). Guess what I haven't tried to load since that experience?
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

WOW, so it bugered things up for you too eh?

I wonder if there is a way to get the CD Roms back in operation without a reinstall.

Hmmmm

Thanks Brian.

Comment

Odd. Nero works fine here on my Win2K boxes. Hmmm....

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I wonder if there is a way to get the CD Roms back in operation without a reinstall.
          Now it's a little bit too late, but in future GHOST the system before installing new things. I do so myself.

I should plug off every CD, reboot. If W2K finds any CD Rom, I should uninstall it from Win and reboot untill no CD Roms are present.
          Finally plug in the CD ROMs again and let W2K find the hardware.

BTW, I am using Nero 5.5.4.0 and W2K Pro SP2 to burn everything I need.

Earlyer, I experienced problems with Nero 5.0 and Adaptec DirectCD in the same system.
          And I could not delete the NeroImage Driver from the ControllPanel. A reinstall and uninstall solved the problem with the ImageDriver.

Regards
          Fred H
          It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
          ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Do a goggle search on UpperFilters and LowerFilters. These are registry settings that get messed up when things fight for the CDROMs.

I've only seen this on systems with Adaptec software and Nero, or on attempting to remove EZCD and DirectCD.

Sorry I don't remember the exact registry strings, but here are my notes from my adaptec disaster:

Fix no CDROM drives on w2k with/after Adaptec EZCD or DirectCD:

Go into the registry. Under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\
            {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318

Delete: LowerFilters and UpperFilters

Good Luck!

--wally.

Comment

IT WORKED!!!!!

Wally thank you so much for the help!

I will keep this information stored indefinately!!

Just to let you guys know, that it was my Boss's Laptop that I tried Nero on.
              Having installed it a million times, I never thought I would run into this issue, and knowing my Boss, he is the type that is very paranoid about things not working.
              He still has faith in me though, I don't think he will fire me any time soon

Thanks again Wally, take note people

Elie

Comment

Wally,
                maybe a silly question, can you or someone shortly explain how this "hieroglyptics" tell us about what they are doing in the registry?
                HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\
                {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318

There are tons of such keys. How can we associate them with some program?

Excuse my poor knowlege about the Win Registry.

And Adaptec DirectCD caused more problems in W98 & Explorer etc.

Fred H

Comment

As far as I know there is NO docs on the registry and its keys other than what leaks out from Microsoft or 3rd parties as a "fix".

I believe this tidbit came to me indirectly via Adaptec tech support after the first W2K EZCD "patch" broke many systems, mine included! I've been using Nero ever since!
                  --wally.

Comment

Thanks, Wally.

Fred H

Comment

Working...
                    X