Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCI 64 bit/66 MHz capture card ?

Hello,

I'm currently putting a system together (dual AMD), planned for purchase around oktober. However, I fear that I might be running short of PCI-slots. Currently, I'm looking at the Tyan Thunder K7x, which has 3 PCI-32/33 MHz slots. One of the PCI 64/66 can be switched in order to take a 32 bit / 33 MHz card, but this slows down the entire bus (which includes the onboard SCSI-controller).

Are there any affordable PCI 64 / 66 MHz cards ? (actually, they don't even need to be 64 bit, as long as they are 66 MHz)

Thanks !

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

The Fasttrak Tx4 RAID card is both PCI/33 and PCI/66, as will be many of their upcoming products.

I'd expect quite a few cards being PCI/66 capable as 64 bit systems become common, but this won't reallly get going until early next year when the Opterons are released.

Of course a 64 bit modem would be a bit much

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Oops...

I just noticed my question was not complete... What I meant to ask is:

Are there any affordable PCI/64 video capture cards?

I thought is was not sufficiant if a card is PCI/66 capable: if the card is 33 MHz, will it not cause the entire bus to fall back to this speed ?

Jörg

edited for spelling...
      Last edited by VJ; 26 July 2002, 08:11.
      pixar

Comment

Not for consumers, but I'd be willing to bet this changes soon given the 64 bit systems coming along.

A 64 bit realtime card in a 64 bit system would be dynamite.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Ok, thanks !
          The big problem is, if you currently opt for a dual CPU, chances are there will a lot of PCI64 slots, at the expense of PCI32. Initially, I had my eye on the Tyan K7x, but the Tyan 760MPx has more PCI32 slots. It lacks some onboard features (no video, single lan instead of dual, no SCSI), but even when using cards for them (for my purpose, I'd put another videocard, and I only need single lan, the SCSI-controller can be PCI64/66), there still is 1 PCI32 slot more.

Thanks!

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Working...
          X