Marvel G400 and Premiere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel G400 and Premiere

I use Adobe Premiere 5.1c for video-editing, even though a particular problem almost makes me go mad. Whenever I load a video into the left monitor-window-thingie, and plays it, the picture freezes (but no the sound) and I'm unable to do anything until the clip has finished playing completely. This makes editing in Premiere a whole lot harder, so I'm wondering if any bright minds out there has the solution to my problem.

This does NOT happen when I remove the two lines ([codec]keepopen=dmb1 and [override] NoDirectShow=1)from prem50.ini, but then all the other problems show up.

Eirik

There seems to be no way around this problem when using the Marvel with Premiere 5.1C (I use a G200 at home, with same runaway clip problems). For whatever reason, Premiere "loses" control of the CODEC after a few seconds of playing. I don't remember if Premiere 4.2 had this problem or not with RR.

About the best you can do is use the frame advance buttons, instead of playing the clip. Use the CTRL (or the ALT) button with the frame advance buttons to jump ahead 5 frames at a time.

If you clip starts to runaway again, click on the STOP button, then press CTRL-ALT-DELETE once. That should stop the clip, but of course you'll get the Windows Taskbox. Just press ESC to get back to Premiere.

Less than desirable solutions, to be sure, but it works. Hopefully, Premiere 6.0 will fix all this AND support both DV1 and DV2.

------------------
    K62-300, 96MegRAM, FastTrack IDE RAID (14GIG), Marvel G200, TRV-310 (real soon now)

Comment

Let's not forget OpenDML support, fixing the d**n FF and REW problems, the ability to assign captured files to a folder and not just a volume (project organization), STABILITY and, and, and.....

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Doc, I get the feeling you are less than impressed with Premiere for Windows? if nothing else, I like Adobe's interface

In all fairness, Premiere and Marvel/RR CODEC were never designed for each other (as far as I know). But I would like to know how well Premiere RT and RT2000 get along, seeing as they are packaged together. (they still are, correct?)

------------------
        K62-300, 96MegRAM, FastTrack IDE RAID (14GIG), Marvel G200, SONY TRV-310 D8

Comment

Naw....I love Premiere. Can't you tell?

Premiere_RANT_mode ON;

Premiere works as well with the RT-2000 as it ever does. It's well known shortcomings didn't disappear just because it's bundled with excellent hardware.

The RT-2000 programmers have done some hard work to smooth this out. Included in this are a serial capture mode to let you exceed 2 gig limits in a manner akin to AVI_IO's technique. Also they have improved the FF and REW behavior somewhat and it's more stable with the RT-2000 than with the other cards I've used it with.

Make no mistake, Premiere's stability problems have little to do with the Matrox codec or drivers. It's that way with a lot of cards it expressly supports as well. Just check the editing newsgroups sometime.

As far as the interface goes the MSPro6 multipaneled layout is very similar to Premiere's. It also is more stable. Way more stable.

I do a LOT of my non-beta related RT-2000 DV editing in MSPro6. MSPro6 can import DV using the RT-2000 hardware. The MPEG-2 and analog features do not work nor does the realtime features, DVE's or Page Curls.

The Organic Effects DO work in MSP6, albeit not in realtime. Combined with Pixelan's SpiceMaster the RT-2000's Organic Effects have become a neverending source of entertainment and great effects. Talk about a combo.

With MSPro6 I have an environment that hardly ever crashes (as in: 2-3 times in 4 MONTHS) and allows me to do a lot of prep work quickly. Once all but the realtime stuff is done I export what I've done from MSPro6 and import it into Premiere for final assembly and whatever realtime features I need. The fact that the RT-2000 comes with a set of softcodecs that work perfectly in MSPro6 helps this a ton. It's DV codec delivers nothing short of great quality.

Truth be told I think Matrox should sell their DV softcodec as a separate product given the limitations of Microsofts horrid DV codec, MSDV. It's that much better.

Obviously I can't wait for an MSPro6 realtime RT-2000 plugin to come out. If/when one does I'll drop Premiere totally in a hot minute for all but betaing.

Premiere_RANT_mode OFF

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 27 June 2000).]

Comment

Working...
          X