Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best CPU temperature

Hi all

I´ve been having all sorts of crashes lately, while converting some video files in VirtualDub. Sometimes only the application crashes, sometimes the entire system hangs, or gives BSOD and memorydump with messages like "IRQL_not_less_or_equal" or "memory_management_failure". Because of the different forms of crashing I suspect the hardware rather than the software, so I checked the CPU temperature and read 51 to 54 °C. Can anybody tell if these temperatures compromise system stability? Or can anyone shine a light on what could be the problem otherwise?

cheers,

landrover
    -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
    2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
    Matrox Parhelia 128
    Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
    Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
    Maxtor 300 GB for video
    Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
    Win XP Pro

At work:
    Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
    Avid Unity Media Network.

Well for one thing 1.1G is a lot to ask from a PIII architecture, it is probably close to it's limit in every aspect. 51-54C is pretty hot for an Intel chip as well, so it may in fact be the problem. I don't own any Intel stuff anymore, but my AM seems to give some problems after it goes past the 50C region.

For some good cooling solutions you can go to the cases and cooling forums over at SharkeyExtreme. They have a lot of guys there that OC, but the general knowledge base is pretty good. Teh also have a wealth of experience with different cooling methods and equipment.

My personal tips would be to

1. Make sure the case is clean, no dust bunnies inside.

2. Check to make sure that all of your fans are running.

3. Make sure that there are no obstructions to the intake of the case, usually in the front. Then make sure that anything inside the case is not obstructing airflow (like IDE cables).

Those are the basics, if you still run hot then you will have to go above your current cooling setup. Most people will tell you to get a million fans and a $50 heatsink. Not necessary at all. A decent HS is important, but the most important thing is good case flow. Clean up and dress cables, make sure that you have decent fans and you may want to try increasing the air that can come into the case. I can get into more details later if you want.

Check out my case mods, as I have one of the hottest CPU's you can get and managed to tame it pretty easily.

Here is the link.
    WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Working...
    X