newbie questions (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie questions (again)

I have a DV camera, from which I'd like to capture (it doesn't have DV in, only out). I also have a Hauppauge WinTV PCI, which has an s-video port.

Now my questions are:

I think transferring via 1349 would give me a quality benefit over capturing, but how much? (I would have to purchase a 1349 card, and I'm quite broke)

When I set the video source of my hauppauge card to s-video, the image goes b/w. why?

IF I transfer through 1349, is there any free program I could use for this? Is there something like a "DV" codec? (I think DV has its own compression algorythm and is usually stored in an .avi container on a windows machine?) What should I use to convert this DV video into another format? Would my Duron 750 and my 60GXP (with 256 MB RAM on a K7S5A and Win98SE) be able to handle this?

Is there a titler plugin for virtualDub, or another simple, free way of creating titles (I don't need anything special).

Do you have any more good advice for a newbie? (cost is one of my biggest concerns)

Thank you

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Depends how broke!

Buy a Swann 1394 card for about GBP 35 and it comes bundled with Ulead Video Studio 4.01. This may not be the latest version but it will allow you to a) do all you want for the moment b) enter into the low-cost upgrade channels, right up to MSP. See http://www.swann.com.au
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

capture via DV would give supior quality and is much much easier with no dropped frames.

B/W? I don't have your card but a guess is it may be thinking it is SECAM or NTSC signal so check what the drivers are expecting? Not sure about that one.

If you buy a 1394 card they nearly always come with free software capable of capture and usually a lot more, most come with Ulead Video Studio or MSI Videowave both of whihc are limited and not the tradtional video editng layouts nevertheless very capable peices of software and they could both do some tittling I'm sure. Note cheap 1394 cards are as good as expensive and still come with software.

What format do you want?
      MPEG1 or 2 use TMPGenc (Free for Mpeg 1)
      MPEG4 use Nandub (Free)
      Windows media 8 use the windows media encoder
      If you want free encoders for just about everthing visit www.doom9.org, they will probabaly have some other software and information you may find useful. They are focused on copying DVDs in their guidies but if you look past that they really have some wonderful pieces of software useful for much more and some good information. There is also lots of information at www.vcdhelp.com with editing, encoding tips, guides and software etc

Comment

Thank you

More advice is still appreciated from anyone who feels he can give some

AZ

P.S. Brian, I liked your previous avatar better
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

AZ

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

It's Kilroy!

Kevin