Water Cooled Parhelia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Cooled Parhelia

Has anyone tried water cooling their Parhelia yet?

If only I could afford one then I would try myself...
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Pentium 4 3GHz, 2Gb DDRRAM, Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ 512MB, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital, 3x Iiyama 4637 18.1" TFTs, Audigy 2 ZS, Matrox RT.x100, Silentmaxx Acoustic Case

I am designing a complete watercooling setup for my cpu, chipset, parhelia core and maybe parhelia memory. but this will take some time.

Comment

Ah so I am not alone (I thought someone else might try!).

My project starts next month if I can spare the cash.

Would you be interested to share your knowledge here?

I have been doing some research and would be interested to know:

- How you plan to connect everything up.
      - Is your case going to be windowed.
      - Where you are locating the radiator.
      - What components you plan to use.
      - Overclocking intended.
      Last edited by Enak; 23 July 2002, 23:26.
      Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Pentium 4 3GHz, 2Gb DDRRAM, Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ 512MB, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital, 3x Iiyama 4637 18.1" TFTs, Audigy 2 ZS, Matrox RT.x100, Silentmaxx Acoustic Case

Comment

Some simulation results...

Swiftech design:

Swiftech design with added pins:

Our own design:

That's about it actually, and the good part is our own design is much easier to manfacture.
        Last edited by P5ycho; 24 July 2002, 05:03.

Comment

You look like you are spending quite a lot of time on this project!

Looks rather good by the way!

Comment

initial conditions

It seems the initial temperature of the core is rather low. I don't know how high it can go on a parhelia core but you should check at what temp the heat exchange factor limits the efficiency of the system

Comment

Funny your design looks virtually identical to a Innovatek InnovaCOOL copper waterjacket (it's internal construction is the same)
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Innovatek is moving the right way, but their surface area is too small. They are probably making loads of money, since the block they are making is really simple to manufacture and very competative.

eftychios, the core dissipates 100W, water comes in at 22C. The simulation is run until a balanced situation is obtained.

Greebe, tom doesn't allow links to his pictures. Maybe you should upload them somewhere.

The problem i'm facing right now is the height of the block. this is no problem for a CPU, but it is for an AGP card. I don't want to lose more than 1 PCI slot...

Comment

Took me a minute to realize the temperature scales were different.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I wouldn't say they are moving in the right direction, I'd say they are doing it right based on similar (their) design.

It's the cost of the mounting system that jacks the cost of it up. When all combined it is the best waterblock on the market and that equals $$ (in their pocket ie why in business).

How can you compare fin surface area a la effeciency when you don't have their specs or even a working sample of yours?

btw Tom can bite me.

Comment

Tom is actuallly biting us, since we can't see the pics want to show us now

The inside of the Innovatek:

Unfortunately I don't know how deep the cuts are so we can't simulate it. our current design is aimed at easy manufacturing, we're not done yet

What i meant with moving in the right direction is that they are one of the first companies that produce a waterblock with a copper core instead of the dangerden variations. According to our tests one should worry about surface area and decent flowrate, the copper ->water transition is the bottleneck. so surface area can never be enough. Heat moves in a sphere shape, but looking at manufacturing costs this seems like the best solution to us.

The latest design is less high and has a pyramid shape center:

Last edited by P5ycho; 24 July 2002, 12:51.

Comment

The cuts between the top rings should be shallower to allow more water flow to be forced between the base rings. The design I currently use on my board is a very classic square-maze copper jacket. When I get home, I’ll post an image of the model I designed; it uses a focused jet and flow guides. I’m just seariching for someone who will CNC it for less than $200…
                            What was necessary was done yesterday;
                            We're currently working on the impossible;
                            For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
                            - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
                            - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
                            - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
                            - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
                            - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
                            (Server)
                            - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
                            - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
                            - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
                            - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Comment

What happens if it starts leaking

Cheers,
                              Elie

Comment