IQ - 2 head vs 3 stretch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IQ - 2 head vs 3 stretch?

Is there any quality loss when moving from 2 head independent to 3 screen stretch? I know there will be a slight slow down, but what about quality?

[edit]
    I am looking over the Matrox site and under the 2 head stuff it mentions 2 RAMDACs. Then on the Triple head it says "a specialized third RAMDAC". Does this mean in triple the other 2 are not used? so the IQ could be different?
    Last edited by HaloFX; 22 July 2002, 19:02.

Nobody has compared the image quality between 2 head independent and 3 head stretch??

Comment

I don't know anything about any possible IQ difference since I neither have a Perhelia nor a 3 monitor setup
      What I do know (I'm 99% sure this is right) is that the Parhelia chip has 2 400Mhz ramdacs embedded in the chip that drives the 2 first heads, while if you power up the third head it uses the extra ramdac you mentioned.

Cobos
      My Specs
      AMD XP 1800+, MSI KT3 Ultra1, Matrox G400 32MB DH, IBM 9ES UW SCSI, Plextor 32X SCSI, Plextor 8x/2x CDRW SCSI, Toshiba 4.8X DVD ROM IDE, IBM 30GB 75GXP, IBM 60GB 60GXP, 120GB Maxtor 540X, Tekram DC390F UW, Santa Cruz Soundcard, Eizo 17'' F56 and Eizo 21'' T965' Selfmodded case with 2 PSU's.

Comment

This is part of the reason I am trying to determine if they look different. I was unable to tell if the third RAMDAC was used in conjunction of the first two, or if the third was used INSTEAD of the the other two. I tend to believe that it is used instead of the others. Which is why three head is stretch only. If it was all three I would think we would have three head independent, with the third head just not performing as well; kinda like the G400. The second head on the g400 used a slower RAMDAC.

So if this is the case, one RAMDAC for all three displays, then the quality of the three head stretch could be different from the two head independent.

Comment

RAMDAC had nothing to do with the speed the card runs at, just the resolution/refresh rate it's capable of on that head.

Cobos is correct. The third RAMDAC is only used for the 3rd display, with the 2 main RAMDACs always running the first 2 displays.

I have seen no loss in visual quality on the primary or secondary display going from dualhead to triplehead.
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Excellent! Thank you!

Comment

Kruzin,

I was really interested in P until I found that three head was stretch only. Is there ANY WAY that in software the third could be an independant resolution or do we have to wait for a hardware refresh?
              hmmmmm

Comment

The latter. But maybe there will be an app which enables three desktops through one viewport, thus enabling you to have three independent desktops, which just happen to have the same res and color depth. I think PowerDesk HF does part of this now.

BTW, how is the third display's image quality?

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                X