Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone running a pci 3d card/agp G400 combo ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone running a pci 3d card/agp G400 combo ?

I'm just after a cheap method of getting better 3d game performance, while still using my g400 for 2d. Much like the ol G200 and voodoo2 setup that sounded like the best of both worlds.

Almost certain this has been covered before, but the search function doesn't appreciate TLA's.

Thanks
    "You win again gravity!"

Anyone? Anyone at all?
    "You win again gravity!"

Comment

The last I've heard about this kind of combo, it involved a PCI 3dfx voodoo card.

There isn't such an option anymore as there aren't any mainstream 3D dedicated cards.

You'll have to upgrade...

Comment

No, I don't think that he would. He *might* be able to get away with a PCI GF3, and have that set as his primary video device in his BIOS. Actually, I think it's pretty likely that would work.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I did see an ati 9000 pci card mentioned in a Hercules press release, but as to wether that will actually be avialable is anyone's guess.

Upgrade? But how could I break it to HER?
          "MAX! Come here girl. No, I haven't got anything behind my back.
          It's just that you're an old card now and ... <sniff!>. Now don't look at me like that. We both knew this day would come. It's time you plugged into the One Big Bus in the sky. <SNAP!>"
          "You win again gravity!"

Comment

Thanks Wombat! You must have posted while I was off on my lil tangent there. <ahem>
            Now to find a cheap pci GF3 (or similar) somewhere...
            "You win again gravity!"

Comment

Tig,

We don't put old retired cards to sleep like an old dog.
              Instead we put them back in their little antistatic bag and store them away till they're called back to their old glory.

Example ? When you need to build a nice PC for net browsing, word processing and in general minimum 3D usage and old [M]atrox card is really great. This is why I keep my good old Millenium (1). He's a life saver when trying to fix stupid computers since he's PCI and almost evey OS out there knows and likes him.

Comment

Yeah, you're probably right Dogbert. The oldest sheepdog on the farm is always the most reliable

Possibly i was being overly dramatic. But if she ever starts foaming at the mouth ...
                "You win again gravity!"

Comment

A while back several MURCers were running either a PCI G450 for desktop and an AGP card for games, or a AGP G4xx and a PCI Voodoo 5500 for games - Wombat and Gurm were amongst them I think.

I bought a PCI V5500 cheap (you can get the MAC version and flash the BIOS to PC spec) to run alongside my G400Max.
                  It worked, but a 3dMark2000 showed almost no gain over the G400 - apparently Voodoo's dont perform very well in 3dMark - and that coupled to some system problems at the time meant I took it out again.

But it can be done.
                  Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

I'm running an G400 together with a PCI Voodoo 5 5500. Works fine, no problems at all.
                    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

If only i could find a V5. Do they actually have drivers that work with current games?
                      "You win again gravity!"

Comment

Working...
                      X