Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parhelia, Frame Rates, and the Magic Roundabout.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parhelia, Frame Rates, and the Magic Roundabout.

Ok, a long post to sum up a lot of the feelings around here, and to possibly explain to outsiders where Matrox Fanboys are coming from.

Why buy the Parhelia, when it is not frame-rate competitive with the offerings from Nvidia or ATI?

1. Because it doesn’t matter! No game released today, or tomorrow, or anytime in the next 12 months will require the latest generation cards. No software vendor is going to ship a game that runs like crap on mass-market video systems. Most PC’s have some low-cost MX type card installed by default, and these cards are quite capable of running the latest games. Sure, you start needing better cards to get higher resolutions, but all current games run fine on hardware that is 2 years old. Even a humble Geforce 2 Ultra can drag 30+ fps in UT 2003 at 1024 res.
    2. I am sick of the upgrade cycle! Here for your interest, are the graphics cards I have had in my system since 1995. I may have forgotten one or two!
    Cirrus Logic CL4564
    Tseng Labs ET4000
    Tseng Labe ET6000
    Creative Blaster 3D
    Generic Voodoo 4MB
    Matrox Millenium 4MB
    Canopus Pure 3D Voodoo 6MB
    Creative Voodoo 2 12MB
    Matrox G400 16MB Single Head
    Creative Geforce 256 MB SDR
    PixelView Geforce 3
    Asus Geforce 4 Ti4400
    Gainward Geforce 4 Ti4200
    Every time I laid down some hard-earned dosh, the absolute, cutting-edge, faster then God graphics card was made “Redundant” by the next gen card.
    Look at the situation right now, Nvidia have just “lost” to the ATI 9700, but come November, they will almost certainly have their Directx 9 compliant card out, which will once again trump the opposition…for a while. For God’s sake, who needs 300+ FPS? These cards are way overengineered. I have spent too much money on the magic roundabout, buying cards with features that were NEVER USED! Remember the crap surrounding the Geforce’s hardware T&L unit? I wish, I really wish games would come out that look as good as the demo's that ship with the cards! eg Nvidia’s tree demo, but here we are 2 years later, and games are still not that good. Sure, they’re better, but not as good as if they were written for the top-of-the-line cards.
    3. Of all these cards, the Matrox cards were hands-down the best quality. I want the next card I buy to still be in my PC next year, with a degree of manufacturing quality, and continuing driver support to see my way through whatever games or apps are released in that time frame. I read that many people are still using their G400 MAX’s. In 12 months, I hope to still be using my Parhelia.

4. OK, I also want the reef demo. Stupid maybe, but I want to see those sharks! Can someone ask Haig to tell the Matrox Software team to release a patch to turn that demo into a screensaver?
    Life is a ride
    Like days on a train
    Cities rush by
    Like ghosts in the night

I concur.

Makes me glad I reached this conclusion a few years back. My last video card purchase was/is my current G400 MAX. I got it when they came out here in Australia. 3 or 4 years ago? Can't remember exactly. Apart from having no AA or funky shaders, it still looks as good in games as anything else available. Especially at my pricepoint. I've upgraded other components since of course, currently a Duron 900 with 256 mb sdram, budget permitting.

The card is only really starting to be too slow in the latest crop of games. ie : Morrowind (which is a an absolute hog anyway), Nwn, Jk2. Now that RPG's are moving into 3d i have a reason to upgrade to faster 3d. Last year when i was playing Diablo2, BG2 and IWD (and some turn based strategies) the merits of a faster 3dMark were even smaller. Geez that game is boring

But I digress. My point is : LOOK at what you use your PC for!BEFORE trading an organ for the latest benchmarking diva. Otherwise it's like a sunday driver buying the latest F1 car each year. The Joneses are always just in front.

I still can't find a gaming video card that equals the Dual display abilities of the g400. The P is better, but still too expensive. If the 64 mb is half the price i'll think about it. Heck, I may have even upgraded to WinXP by then.
    "You win again gravity!"

Comment

I really wish games would come out that look as good as the demo's that ship with the cards!
      is it just me, or does morrowinds graphics and the g400 techdemo look simillar? the landscape is much bigger in morrowind(and the poly-count is much bigger), but the graphic "style" is almost the same.
      This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Now that you mention it TDB, they are fairly similar.
        "You win again gravity!"

Comment

there are a couple of features that i still love the best about the G400 MAX..

first and foremost the stability... there was only one driver set that ever bluescreened on me, and it was on the fairly new VIA 694X-DP chipset when busmastering was enabled. thats it. and that was fixed in the next driver release. the only other stability problems i have ever had with it related to the motherboards i had it in.

second... powerdesk... on the G series cards it allowed you to force refresh rates/monitor resolutions, configure dualhead, change options and get useful info... in addition, it allowed hotkeys to be assigned to features (enable/disable clone mode) and, as an added bonus, its systray icon acctually has a "Start Screen Saver" option. good lord. no other graphics card manufacturer has put that on there.

third... application compatability... with the exception of wolfenstein and jk2, i never saw a problem running any app on it. was not as fast as the GeForce, Voodoo5 and Radeon 8500 i tried in my computer since then... but... with the exception of the Voodoo5 it was a lot more compatable with apps in Win2k and XP for a long time. it still has less problems than the 8500 i run now.

fourth... its Matrox... they don't put crap in their drivers that doesn't work right... they don't advertise features on their products that are not their yet... they release quality products and keep them as problem free as possible.

the only reason i switched away from my G400 is that i started getting back into gaming and it was starting to not cut it for that... i used it in favor of a GeForce 256 and Voodoo 5 i still have. the 8500 was the only card to offer a feature set even close to the G400 and picture quality even near it...

i look forward to putting a P in my system, especially if it lives up to anywhere near the previous products that Matrox has shipped. is it a wee bit expensive? yes, but i figure i will probably still use this video card for my main desktop in a year, maybe two... the fact i probably won't be buying a card to replace it soon is probably going to wind up saving me money in the long run...
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Oh, and one more, quite important reason.

Matrox cards hold their value really well. 1 year after buying my Geforce for $560 AUD, i could not sell it for $150!! Whereas the G400 MAX ($450) was still selling for $400.!
            Life is a ride
            Like days on a train
            Cities rush by
            Like ghosts in the night

Comment

Working...
            X