Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux drivers are coming...

As above.
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Source?
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Not me.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Guru
        Source?
        How can I know it? I think that Matrox will release only drivers and not the source, I don't remember them to have never done differently

Comment

Drizzt, I think he was asking where you got your info from ie your source!

Comment

I was joking, I had understood.
            The source? From Matrox. Quite on the main page

Comment

At SIGGRAPH 2002 Matrox will also be showing a beta version of the Parhelia Linux® drivers supporting 2D desktops across three displays.

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzt

I think that Matrox will release only drivers and not the source, I don't remember them to have never done differently
                Matrox have released most of their driver sources and chip specs for their previous cards. I hope they don't do anything differently this time round. If they go the nVidia route - no source, no specs, complete dependency on Matrox - they've definitely lost my order. I don't know where I'd go instead - I'd have to see how Ati and 3DLabs do things for their upcoming cards.
                Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

They released the source because it wasn't theirs. Matrox released specs, other people wrote code and GPL'ed it. Matrox has done a nice job of pissing off those contributors by illegally claiming the code as theirs (read the click-through on the Matrox web site).
                  Matrox has been doing a steady job of alienating the open-source community.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Ah - I wondered what you meant the other day when you said Matrox didn't give a damn about Linux. That's really sad. I've always had great trust in them since they opened the G200 specs and what we now know as Utah-GLX was started.

Comment

Well, kewlcat put it pretty well. I am/was a Linux BB. Matrox has not asked us to test anything for 17 months, IIRC, even though they released some drivers in that time. It has been over a year since I've had any "Linux" contact with Matrox at all.

Comment

Sorry, but I see no kewlcat here - was the post pulled?

AZ
                        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by P5ycho
                          At SIGGRAPH 2002 Matrox will also be showing a beta version of the Parhelia Linux® drivers supporting 2D desktops across three displays.
                          Well this and what Wombat said sent me to do some (shallow) digging around. There are no Parhelia specs on Matrox' developer relations site other than a list of supported OpenGL extensions. Parhelia got mentioned briefly on the DRI developer list around launch time, then appears to have been quickly forgotten - attention seems to focussed on getting T&L working on the Radeon [78]500. Parhelia was also only mentioned in passing on the Xpert list, in a discussion about whether XFree86 supports 10-bit colour. I'm sure I'd have found more than this if these drivers were open-source or community-developed.

A couple of other things I picked up:

- The Radeon has 10-bit colour, or at least a 10-bit RAMDAC for TV-out. http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/xpe...ne/018503.html

- 3DLabs cards exist which have 10-bit colour. And XFree86 supports them. http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/xpe...ne/018487.html

Anyway, my point was it's looking like Matrox may be going down the nVidia route after all and supporting Linux only as little as they can get away with. If this is true then it's sad because ultimately no-one benefits in the long run (the drivers will rot once Parhelia becomes officially unsupported) and it leaves out everyone who isn't x86/Linux (i.e. xyzBSD, QNX, etc. on the OS side, and Alpha, SPARC, PPC, MIPS etc. on the h/w side). Perhaps the G400Max I just got hold of will be my last Matrox card. Damn. And I really wanted FAA...

Look at that, it's past my bedtime...

Comment

Az, I was referring to stuff kewlcat said over in Alt. Life. a while ago.

Comment

Hi Wombat,

Originally posted by Wombat
                              Matrox has been doing a steady job of alienating the open-source community.
                              Ups, this is interesting. I always thought, Matrox's support for XFree was very good. :-(

cu,
                              kaasboer

Comment

Working...
                              X