Faster DF client!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster DF client!

I've been thinking about this for awhile but haven't gotten around to it until now. Anyhow, with surprisingly minor code changes, I have sped up the client 200%! Yes, that's right, twice as fast, that's not a typo.

The catch? Well, it loads the entire protein.trj into RAM at once, rather than reading one residue at a time. Thus it will require a total of roughly: 25 + 0.64N MB RAM where N is the number of residues. Thus a 200-residue protein (about the largest we will ever attempt in the near future) would suck up 143MB RAM. Still, a small price to pay for speed doubling, especially if you use your machine only for DF, or if you have 512MB RAM. Note that's EACH process, so a dual machine would need 286MB RAM. Needless to say, this is an 'optional' switch. If should speed up the screensaver as well so an option will be added there as well.

Just though I'd whet your appetites for what's coming up.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Will there be a way to switch between the old and new ways? 8 of my 10 machines have only 128MB of ram.

Edit:
    OK, now I actually read the entire post. Forget my question.

Comment

This will be good, all our new machines at work have 512mb as standard
      Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Next tuesday boys and girls, note it, since we shouldn't be slow on the uptake for this!
        Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Working...
        X