some dell laptop questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some dell laptop questions

hi there i have not posted for a long time because i have been working my a$$ off in a fridge for the past couple of weeks, but now i have a day off and some questions!

i am buying a dell inspiron 8200 for my year in america next year. it comes with a 64mb gf4mx440 and i was just wondering whether it was better to get a faster than 1.7gig processor (for cpu scaling) or a screen with a resolution over sxga+ (1400*1050 or something)???

another question is whether it is worth getting 512mb ram over the other options (better res or faster processor). basically this machine is going to be used for games (and a little bit of work) and iwas wondering whether it would be noticable on a win2k pro machine in games???

of course the final option is whether i should save $150???

cheers
    Dell Inspiron 8200
    Pentium4m 1.6
    640mb pc2100
    64mb gf440go
    15" uxga ultrasharp
    40gb 5400rpm hdd 16mb cache

1.7gig is fine, the lower res is fine. i'd go with more ram, although you can upgrade the ram yourself, so maybe the faster chip?

how much resolution do you REALLY want to pack into 15"?

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

By far the biggest bottleneck in laptops is the harddrive (4200 RPM usually, and damn slow seek). Get as much ram as possible, because you don't want to hit that swapfile, EVER.
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

dell are shipping some of their laptops with 5400 rpm hdd which are either toshiba with 16Mb cache or ibms with 8Mb cache.
        the ibm seems to benchmark a little better than the toshiba.
        get the minimum amount of memory from dell & supplement it with some more from crucial to save yourself some cash.
        as for screen, I found the uxga natively(1600x1200) too small for my eyesight but people differ. the enhanced uxga has been praised by many but haven't seen one myself so can't comment.

Comment

Yeah, 1280x1024 is as high as I would want to go on a 15" or smaller screen.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm happy with 1024x768 on a laptop. Anything more and I'd have to bump up the font sizes and stuff.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

If your gonna get it, get the most with what you can afford right now. One you start upgradinfg parts Dell will add a 40% mark-up on all parts sold after the system is bought. That's IF you upgrade it through Dell.
            Titanium is the new bling!
            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

*shrug*

I'd never upgrade through dell.

You can buy laptop hard drives from Pricewatch. Good, fast, cheap ones.

You can buy laptop memory from Pricewatch.

I wouldn't buy a laptop that used proprietary memory modules, most don't now. My mom's sony takes SO-dimms. No biggie.

The important parts are the graphics and sound chips, and the cpu - since you can't upgrade those yourself. That's what I was TRYING to get at in my original post, rambling though it was.

- Gurm

Comment

And when you do buy one:
                Wipe the drive and Reinstall!

Brand name out of tha box installs suck!
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                  And when you do buy one:
                  Wipe the drive and Reinstall!
                  if you do the above, remember to get rid of the 31Mb hidden partition dell installs on the hdd!

Comment

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim

if you do the above, remember to get rid of the 31Mb hidden partition dell installs on the hdd!
                    Yup diags and crap nobody uses, funny part is that when there's a defective part on the system the diags don't even pick it up!

Comment

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim

On my brother in laws one it was 300mb
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

On systems with win95/98/me they mirrored the the drive after it everything was installed so that when it crashed you can just type one simple command in DOS and voila, everything is re-isntalled. They called it ZZtop or Zig Zag.

Needless to say it pissed off some people, the fact it took up so much space. Makes a tech's life easier!
                        Last edited by ZokesPro; 22 July 2002, 13:49.

Comment

Oh yeah, run a defrag more than once and that mirror image was toast!

Comment

ok here goes...

basically the first thing i wanted upgraded over the default system was th hdd, as i know that this is the largest hold up on a laptop, so i will have a 5400rpm hdd

atm i have a compcrap laptop with a 13"tft that runs @ 1024*768. i like this res for this screen size, and reckon that with a 2" increase in screen size a 2 step increase in resolution should be ok.

another thing i will definitely be formating as soon as i get the dammed thing, i will go from xp home to win2kpro. i have never formatted xp before, but i assume for a full wipe you just boot from the cd and go throught the options. is this correct???

i think i will go with the 256mb of ram, and then just buy another 256 from crucial as i is alo lot lot cheaper

finally i have decided that clockespeed is not really that important since i looked at some anandtech reviews and saw that the only games under which the gf4mx440 scaled well was in the quake 3 based games, which it is fast enough in already
                            Dell Inspiron 8200
                            Pentium4m 1.6
                            640mb pc2100
                            64mb gf440go
                            15" uxga ultrasharp
                            40gb 5400rpm hdd 16mb cache

Comment

Erm, is there a SPECIAL reason you don't want XP Pro?

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                              X