Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which quality 17 inch monitor for a G400Max?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which quality 17 inch monitor for a G400Max?

Seeing as how my trusty secondary display (Creative Badged KDS 15 inch) is behaving a bit strangely, I decided to do a bit of monitor research.
    After finding 5 squillion different breeds of FlatScreen CRT's available, I thought I might as well ask for some opinions from that forum i've lurked on for years

I really need something that can match my 17 inch CTX PR711 (Trinitron Tube, 0.24, Max res 1600x1200 @ 75Hz) in image quality/resolution/refresh. A refresh of at least 85Hz @ 1280x1024 is paramount for future Triplehead/Surround. Hey I might win Lotto, or a P Also important are low power consumption and the lowest possible radiation. Of course price is a factor : I can stretch to about $400AU. ie $200US and 145GBP respectively.

The other issue with living here in AUS is the fact that brands like Cornerstone, Eizo, IIyamma(sp?) and even the newer Viewsonics are hard to find. So far I've found LG Flatrons, Mitsubishi DiamondViews, Philips and Hitachi to be easily purchased. If anyone has prior experience with these brands, please post your thoughts.

Thanks
    "You win again gravity!"

LG 795FT Plus.
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the prompt reply Driz! It's like posting to Matrox Tech Support

That is a pretty sweet looking screen. But it's about $500 here! Mind you I paid $600 something for this CTX...
      What's the difference between that and a LG775FT? I can't find the specs.
      "You win again gravity!"

Comment

Any EIZO - but you could get a decent 19" for the same price I guess

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Hmmmmm Eizo you say? Maybe out of my price range, but i'll see if i can hunt one down.
          As far as decent 19 inchers go, I'd rather another high quality 17. I use dualhead all the time anyway and have the desk space.
          "You win again gravity!"

Comment

Yes, I'd rather have a good 17" than my crappy 19", too. You could try Iiyama, but it's kind of a lottery with them - some of their models are truly great, others downright suck - like mine unfortunately

AZ

Comment

Yeah, Ive been looking for a couple of monitors too. I'm not sure whether to go for a cheap 19 inch or a mid priced 17 inch...

Comment

I feel your pain az. Sometimes you just don't get what you thought you were going to, no matter how much research you do.
                I can't even find Iiyama's here so i don't think it will be a problem.
                "You win again gravity!"

Comment

Oh, don't say that. My 4 1/2 years old Iiyama 17" is really a great monitor, and I know there are good 19" screens from them too, but I lacked like 50-100 euros to get a better model, and so I'm stuck with this one - an MA901U BTW - I think they discontinued it shortly after I bought it

Elvis, NEVER buy a cheap monitor. Buy mid-range at least. Your eyes will thank you.

AZ

Comment

Gee, that's always a good sign when a model has been discontinued. Just enough to give you that horrible feeling in the pit of your stomach.

I'd have to second the "never buy a cheap monitor" mantra. Eyestrain, crap image quality and headaches await the foolhardy.
                    I suffer from chronic sinusitis (due to a house dust mite allergy. Good thing PC's are so clean!) and low power consumption and low rad emission really make a difference.
                    A friend of mine bought a "Value" CTX 19, just because he HAD to have a 19. Not a patch on even a mid range screen. Mind you, the no-name brand gf2mx it's hooked up to probably doesn't help
                    All I can say is if you've got a video card with good 2d/3d Image quality what's the point in using a crap monitor? It's like cheap speakers on a high end sound system : you just aren't getting the quality you bought it for in the first place.
                    "You win again gravity!"

Comment

Has anyone used a Sony E230? This isn't much more than a LG795FT, how would they compare?
                      "You win again gravity!"

Comment

Im personally quite happy with my 17" sony g200 monitor, and it does 1280*1024@90 with good quality(but too small fonts, but i don´t blame the monitor for that )
                        the g200 is probably a bit old, but you should check out its succesor, i believe its called g220.
                        This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

if you want a sony, then stck to their G-series, they are better.
                          This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

I think Sony is OK, but overpriced. Get an Eizo if you have the money, they're the best you can buy.

AZ

Comment

I saw some EIZO F56's for about €100 around here lately, was thinking of buying them for some sweet triplehead. they do 1280x1024 @ 80Hz, that would make 1280x960 @ 85/86Hz if my calculations are right. The model is discontinued, but if you can grab one it's one hell of a tube for that price.

Comment

Working...
                              X