Duron 750 at 80 degrees C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duron 750 at 80 degrees C

Asus probe just fired up to tell me my cpu is running at 80 degrees centigrade (while watching Harry Potter DVD with the kids), the motherboard is at 35 degrees and the cpu fan at 4000 rpm. Should I open the box and check the fan hasn't fallen off?

Thanks,

Dave
    Don't make me angry...

Wow, that's pretty hot. It might be reading the temp incorrectly. Is it really (and I mean really) hot when you touch it?
    System Specs:
    Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
    May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
    Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
    And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
    just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
    For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

If he's reading 80C, I'd expect the heatsink to be cold, not hot. Almost sounds like bad contact between the CPU and heatsink.

Yeah, open it up, and see if things are okay.

Have you ever messed with the CPU? If the packaging took damage, the temp may rise as the core fails.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

No, it's completely standard, been running happily for nine months or so, but as it's buried in a home cinema set up it's not that easy to get at the back to take the case off. Soon as Harry Potter finishes I'll have a look : )

Dave
        Don't make me angry...

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
          If he's reading 80C, I'd expect the heatsink to be cold, not hot. Almost sounds like bad contact between the CPU and heatsink.

Yeah, open it up, and see if things are okay.

Have you ever messed with the CPU? If the packaging took damage, the temp may rise as the core fails.
          I should've been more specific. I was talking about the CPU.
          System Specs:
          Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
          May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
          Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
          And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
          just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
          For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

Ok, I nearly burnt myself on the heatsink, so I guess the chip is running that hot and is efficiently shunting the heat to the heatsink. Seems quite stable, I guess I just have to let it run like that and see if I can pick up a backup in case it goes pop. The case was pretty dusty inside, I'll try blowing the dust off the heatsink and see if that makes any difference.

Dave
            Don't make me angry...

Comment

Dust Busters!!

After supplementing the heat sink/fan with a 1000W workshop blower/vacuum cleaner for a few minutes, the cpu temp dropped to 43 degrees C . After this clean-up the fan speed has picked up an extra 500 rpm and the cpu temp has now stabilised at 55 degrees C, so all seems well.

Dave
              Don't make me angry...

Comment

lol :P

Thats still pretty hot for a stock (non-overclocked) setup, but its alright. At 80c you were definately stressing the cpu core tho.

Comment

For future reference, you can get a good duron from newegg for $30.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

OK thanks, I might just get one in anyway, I've no idea for how long it was running too hot before the alarm bells rang when it finally hit 80 degrees.

Dave
                    Don't make me angry...

Comment

If not

You must see what append! If not is going to burn!

Comment

Working...
                      X