One of those times....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of those times....

For those who work for tech support or those that have worked for tech support. (in a call center)

Ever feel like crap after a days work? And what I mean by that is, well, if you let your job get to you then you won't make it. Most never last the first day at a place like this. i've been here for over a year and a half.

Sometimes you just get some people who just don't know how to operate a computer. Then there are those people who don't think for themselves. For example, you tell them that they need to restart their system but instead of actually doing it, you have to guide them step by step, even to the very LAST step, even if it's blaintantly obvious!

I guess what I'm getting at is, that one customer finally got me. It wasn't that he was stupid, he was just a little too confusing. And although I didn't actually offend him or insult him we seemed to butt heads quite a bit during the call. I eventually got his system fixed but still, I feel bad. I felt like I treated him like crap. Even though I didn't, but I wasn't the most polite tech he's ever had.

It was frustrating to the point where it just makes me feel really bad inside. You feel bad for those who don't know what they are getting themselves into.

Example: Let's say you make a shotty product. You know it's the absolute worst product in that line of products and that there is a better product out there with the same price except people keep buying yours and therefore keeping you in business, so you just keep making it and selling it. Then one day you just snap! You know that it's not your fault that people just keep buying your crap but you can't help it. You feel responsible for the grief caused by your crappy product. You finally let it get to you and you feel like shit! That's kinda the way I feel, except i'm just here to support it. To tell people that what they bought is good and that it's not crap......

Maybe I'm just ranting. **** I hate my job sometimes.

I guess by only hearing the bad side of things then you never really get to see the whole picture. But still....
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

that is human nature (showing that u have a conscience) and feel bad for the people you support even though the product you support is #$%@ing junk........I used to work for an ISP that lied to its customers about 24 hour support....it actually was 8am-8pm live via phone (if you were lucky to get an answer) and 8pm-midnight via email....(useless if your connection is down)

so you dont let it bother you OR get different work....(my career was cut short there due to the owner's sister taking over the office and not liking me due to the fact I tell it as it is and DONT kiss ass)
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Between people who seem not to want to know how things work and the people who make products who seem to want people not to know how their products work, it's a miracle anything gets done. I've done enough "technical support" for relatives and friends to know just what you're feeling...

Comment

At least i'm nbot alone! That makes me feel beterr, thanks guys!

Comment

Zokes, I TOTALLY feel for you. Two jobs ago I worked WAY too closely with clueless end users. It nearly gave me an ulcer. I used to lose sleep over it. My health is still not fully recovered - no joke, I wouldn't joke about something like this.

I couldn't do it any more. I got out. 3 years was way too long. And these were all PROFESSIONALS. I couldn't imagine dealing with the public. I wouldn't last a month. Mad props to you, as the young'uns say, for sticking it out this long without snapping.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
            Zokes, I TOTALLY feel for you. Two jobs ago I worked WAY too closely with clueless end users. It nearly gave me an ulcer. I used to lose sleep over it. My health is still not fully recovered - no joke, I wouldn't joke about something like this.

I couldn't do it any more. I got out. 3 years was way too long. And these were all PROFESSIONALS. I couldn't imagine dealing with the public. I wouldn't last a month. Mad props to you, as the young'uns say, for sticking it out this long without snapping.

- Gurm
            Gurm: Hence the reason I spilled my heart out here!

I'm also glad I excel at what I do, even though it goes un-noticed.

Edit: Ok, jeez! I'm not THAT good, but I do fix a shit load of systems!

Comment

Working...
            X