X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Athlon beats Intel/Apple

AMD Athlon beats Intel/Apple:

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

No suprise there. AthlonXP's are murder at multimedia content creation, especially if the programs support SSE or Advanced 3DNow!. More and more programs and plugins do.

What I'm really looking forward to is how the Opteron will do on SiS's 760 chipset. THAT should be interesting, especially now that SiS is cranking up their MuTIOL pipeline to >1 GB/s.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I agree 100%: the Opteron/SIS 760 looks incredible, Doc.

Jerry Jones
      I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

Interesting review, but my conclusion is this is more proof of the position that the fastest single CPU is more cost effective than dualies for video editing.

--wally.

Comment

Originally posted by wkulecz
          Interesting review, but my conclusion is this is more proof of the position that the fastest single CPU is more cost effective than dualies for video editing.

--wally.
          Depends on the software and hardware used for video editing.

My dual AMD 1800+ blows away any single CPU system simply because Matrox developed it's software to take full advantage of them.

RT2x00 especially RT.X100 are totally multi-threaded.

Regards,
          Elie

Comment

True enough Elie, but we are among the "lucky few" who get that much of an advantage because of the hardware we use.

For those who don't use special hardware MSPro 6.5x on a single AthlonXP has major advantages over Premiere because it can take advantage of Advanced 3DNow! and SSE support. This gives it a major edge over Premiere. This is because Premiere's dualie support only covers only a small portion of its functions and its rendering engine is a total stick-in-the-mud. This has been true of Premiere for ages and the problem persists in Premiere 6.5.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
            X