Salvage data from a scratched CD??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salvage data from a scratched CD??

I have been given a CD that has a sizable scratch on it. My mate want me to try and salvage any data that I can. Windows will see the CD and retrieve a directory listing, but wont let me access any of the files.

Surely only the data that is in the scratch will be damaged? Is there any way to salvage what i can???

As I type this, clonecd is making an image...I will try to burn that with the error correction turned on (if it completes)... Any suggestions guys??
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

There are some CD cleaning sets out there which seem to work pretty good, but some are absolutely useless

Some people say that you can fix scratched CDs with somekind of hairspray, but I never tried this.
    Specs:
    MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

nah, it wont be repaired! I dont know what he did to it... perhaps he was hungry??? Anyhow, I was hoping that there is a util out there that can read the raw data... CCD is stalling at 26%... although it has not reported an error yet. Current read speed is 0-0.02kbps.
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I've heard of product that does this can't remember whats it called it's just a case of searching the web.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Try the program CD-R Diagnostic.
          Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
          Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
          Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Thanks! I'll look for that now!

Comment

I found a program called CD Roller - http://www.cdroller.com

It looks promising

Comment

grrr.. the trial version wont let you recover data... and astalavista's no help

Comment

try this http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/
                  Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

The problem is that if it's a scratch from center to edge, virtually EVERY file on the disc will have bad sectors, making getting an accurate checksum impossible. And since your CD drive does NOT, in fact, "just read 0's and 1's", as many think it does, but rather, reads entire large patterns and then checksums them in hardware to produce your data... you're pretty much SOL.

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

the scratch is about 4mm from the periphery of the CD and is fairly localised. Its more of a gouge

CD Roller claims to be able to retrive the data, but it wants cash upfront. I cant find any help on Astalavista.

CD Check just pauses on 0%

Comment

I wouldn't count on CD roller. It's hugely drive-dependent.

- Gurm
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

I am using it in my PX1210S

Comment

There are services that remove the damaged layer of plastic and refinish the now surface layer to factory specs. Audio stores usually have the info, but one of the companies is AuralTech. I believe they charge ~$3.50/disk + return shipping.

Another is SkippyDisk;

Once they finish with it make a copy and use that for day to day.

I usually make 2 copies (use disk + a spare) as soon as a disk comes home and put the original away for safe keeping.

Dr. Mordrid
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 July 2002, 11:38.
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Cheers! Sounds reasonably priced too!

I dont think it's anything too vital. I am certainly not going to loose sleep over it But I do have staks of old CDs that have become slightly scratched over the years... A util that could recover the data would be very handy

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X