Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• animated effects in Premiere

Hi guys,
    does anyone know how to make an effect, like a lens flare, move accross the screen over a given duration? im using Adobe Premiere 6.0
    -mungu

"She won't last forever, so why buy her diamonds?"

Premiere has no built-in way of doing lens flares.

That said, here are your options;

1. After Effects Lens Flare tool: OK, but with few of the frills found in other packages. Of course AE isn't free....

2. Knoll Lens Flare Pro: Written by one of the guys at ILM. Can be had for PC or Mac. Not cheap and the downside is that it only does one thing, but it does it well.

3. Create the lens flare animation in a 3D program and render it to an image sequence (ex: 32 bit *.tga). Use the image sequence as an overlay.

Uleads Cool3D 3.5 is the cheapest and easiest way to do this as it has a lens flare effect built-in. It also has lightning, fireworks, spotlights, light bulbs and sparklers as well as a s**tload of other effects. It can also render uncompressed 32 bit *.avi's with an alpha channel

A dead-flat steal at $45 USD.

If you were using MSPro 6.5 the Cool3D project files would load straight to the timeline and be rendered by MSPro, skipping the step of rendering the C3D animation first. Too cool.

4. Get a Matrox RT.X100 realtime board. It has a very nice realtime Lens Flare effect built in, along with auto and manual chroma & luma keying in realtime, among a zillion other things. It's not been validated yet with the i860 chipset you're using in system 1, but it does work with the i850 and has been tested with dualie Athlon systems so....

Side benefit: the RT.X100 is actually cheaper than buying all the software it would take to do the things it does plus it makes Premiere edit much smoother and its composites are just gorgeous. It also has realtime export to HDD (DV & MPEG) and IEEE-1394. $999 at VideoGuys.

Dr. Mordrid

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 July 2002, 07:39.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

premiere does indeed have a lens flare built in. I just used it lol. but it is stationary, it is like photoshop where you pick the source of the flare (i.e. the light that causes it), and the type of lens for the differen effects. I just dont know if you can make it move.

i really do want to buy a RT.X100, and i have the money to do it also, but i cant really justify paying $1000 for it, because i really dont do very much video editing at all. I really want to get into it, but im stuck..because i dont know if i should do more and see if this is something i will be doing a lot, or if i should buy the card to force me to do more. lol..if that made any sense. Basically, i cant count the number of videos i have edited on one hand. The X100 would be a very nice and convenient toy, but im still trying to decide if i would use it to it's full potential.

About using it with my motherboard, does it not work at all? or it just hasnt been certified. it would be kinda a waste to buy it only to end up using it in my old p3 system
      -mungu

"She won't last forever, so why buy her diamonds?"

Comment

Mainboard first: it just hasn't been tested yet. I would be very suprised if it didn't work given that the RT.X100 has been tested with dualies and works with the single CPU Intel chipsets currently availaible. It's certainly fast enough.

As for the Premiere lens flare, I guess I should have looked closer. I just don't use it because I have better options.

OTOH when I originally searched for "lens" in Adobes help file it didn't have an entry. After reading your last post I searched for "flare" and it did have an entry for that. Go figure how Adobe sets that thing up :-P

After trying Premiere's built in one I don't think much of it. It's not very controllable. This is a bit more like it;

Cool3D 3.5; with LOTS of canned variations, control, position, color and intensity.

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 July 2002, 11:07.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
        X