Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye my friends ;)

Lol.

Tomorrow I'll change the motherboard to my PC without doing a OS reinstall. If you don't see me for a week or two, you know why

(however, going from an ECS to an ECS and from a VIA chipset to a VIA chipset shouldn't be too much painfuly)

(I hope!)
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

This mission is a dangerous one, you’ll be behind the lines, dogging bullets, taking flack, so we send you off on this mission hoping you return, if not Owell!! J/k GL!

Oboy
    P.S. You can always do a format c:\
    Last edited by Oboy; 19 July 2002, 09:38.
    Time to make the wafers!
    Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
    jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

I've done ECS to ECS (735 to 745 and reverse) and VIA to AMD without too much trouble. At worst I used the Win2K install disk from within Win2K to "upgrade" the installation.

This "upgrade" installation caused a redetection of the h/w and such without destroying the email, settings, network setups, s/w installations etc. All I had to do after was to reinstall the Dx8.1 update and SP-2.

This worked fine for the SiS to SiS and VIA to AMD (AMD northbridge is often used with a VIA southbridge, so the IDE drivers were the same).

The biggest problem was going from the SiS745 back to a SiS735. The AGP graphics system bogged down badly and needed the "refresh" to get things straight again.

Real trouble is when you go from VIA to SiS. Then the already installed IDE drivers will not work and brings on an undetectable boot device error.

I haven't pursued this one as yet, but I suspect that installing the SiS IDE drivers before removing the VIA board might solve it.

Dr. Mordrid

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 July 2002, 10:17.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Heh, last month my HD kinda messed up on me (I believe it was due to the removable rack malfunctioning). A bunch of files got corrupted, but I still could get into DOS, so I had to reinstall Windows. The thing was that it was doing school, I had no way to backup all the files I needed or reinstall all the programs I needes. So I went for the "recovery install" over the old install. Got some wacky problems once in a while, but useable. Anyways I'll be upgrading my mobo and all after this weekend, so I'll do a full format. Yay!
        Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
        Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

How come I have a feeling that this is the last time we'll be hearing from this Drizzt fella for a LONG TIME?
          RC Agent
          AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz, MSI 785GT-E63, 6 GB(2x1GB, 2x2GG) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Asus EAH4850 TOP
          AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz, ASRock A790GXH/128M BIOS 1.7, 4 GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Gigabyte HD 6850 1GB DDR5
          AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 BIOS 2501 , 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 Crucial BallisticX(BLT4G3D1869DT1TX0) , Sapphire HD7870 2GB GDDR5 OC, Seasonic 850w powers supply

Comment

Wouldn't it be easier to simply back everything up and reinstall fresh? A lot fewer potential problems.

I usually have a remote PC I dump my files onto (in a logical arrangement), or move to a different partition. And I'll usually burn all of the drivers I may need for the new config onto CD-RW for a quick, painless install or (again) build a folder for all of the drivers onto a different logical drive.

Most of the computers I work with, the first two things I do to them are to image the HDD to a partition and install TightVNC to work on them remotely. It's a real lifesaver.

Some people must like to live on the edge, I guess.
            Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

I'm back!!

So, here is the situation...
              FIRST, the K7VTA3 has a huge bug! It power off a few secs after the power on if there is not a tachimetric fan attached to FAN1 pins.
              Guess what? I had a self made icecreamcup cooler wich, being self made, had not tachimetric wire.
              So, now I have a new cooler.

The change has gone pretty well, apart from the fact that I do not find the Win2k CD, so at the moment I have improvised with the driver. The midi is not yet working, 'cause I miss a file. Not such a problem.

The Duron 800 is not 133 FSB, and that's the worst part, but it will be replaced in a pair of month.

For the one who think that a fresh install is a must done...yes, usually it is a must done. But not when you have a few tenth of softwares installed, two or three hours to do the job and if you plan to reinstall the moment a Parhelia will be here.

Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Hey .. Itsa no problemo. We Comprende
                Paul ... Peterborough ..Uk

....Ex- Perth ...WA .....

The ( EX) Forrestfield Flyer

Comment

I don't consider that a bug. More of a protection feature.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Not when there's no option to switch it off

AZ
                    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Good to see you back!
                      Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
                      X