Three monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three monitors

When using the surround gaming feature in Windows, is the task bar stretched across all three monitors?

On some screenshots I saw earlier (one with Adobe Photoshop in particular), this seemed to be the case. However, since I don't have a card myself (yet), I don't know whether the final version has fixed this. I know that this is a driver issue.

Yes, in Triple head the Taskbar does go all the way along. This isn't a 'driver issue' to be 'fixed' - it was intended for the triple head mode to act as one big screen. If this wasn't the case, then no games would be able to run spanned across the three screens.

Using the Powerdesk utilities though you can make the screen act as 3 individual monitors, but always the Task bar runs across them all.

Comment

Can you clarify that a second? What do you mean by "three individual monitors" if the taskbar still goes all the way across? If I stick a window in one of the monitors and maximise it, will it maximise to that monitor only or across all three? Across all three isn't very helpful...
      We seldom attribute common sense except to those who agree with us.

Comment

Why not add two new options to the powerdesk. One option called something like 'TrippleHead Gaming' and a second called something like 'TrippleHead Work'. The first option would allow surround gaming. The second option would split the display three ways and would maximize a window only to the monitor it is located in. Also, the taskbar would also only be visible in one of the displays.

The only limit is the display resolution which must be equal on all displays. The above is fully possible. I will create such a utility if Matrox doesn't make support for it.

Comment

Hello,
          in powerdesk is an option you can say in which monitor the windows maximized !! Its very easy to configure and it works perfect with the option save window !! I have 2 TFT´s and its a very usefull thing .... you can also say in which window the dialog-boxes opened, so that you got one main monitor !!
          I think its the same when you use 3 monitors ...

SLICE
          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sorry for my bad english

Comment

The extra investement needed for three monitors would be far from justified if the time gained by having additional displays was cut down to next to nothing by having to open your little tool and telling the program which monitor to maximise to. In order to be worthwhile, you need to be able to drag the window to a monitor, and double-click to maximise it.

On the other hand, a short-cut key for maximising to Monitor X(e.g. ALT+CTRL+X) would definitely be an excellent solution.
            We seldom attribute common sense except to those who agree with us.

Comment

- It is that easy. Through Matrox's Power Desk; In Desktop Management. The last option just has to be checked. And designated to what window you want it maximized. Then you can maximize the regular way. And if you are purchasing a Card and Monitors for a Triple Head. Then yes you can expect at least a little hassle. -
              - ? -

Comment

I think the triple head feature is too limited currently to justify buying a third monitor. I've been reading about some of the video issues and such in the Matrox forums and I've finally been pushed over the fence to the "don't care about triple head" camp. It might be interesting if I played more games but I was counting on using a third monitor for much more than that.
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I too have been feeling unsure about triple head as a true productivity tool, given some of its current limitations.

Dr Mordrid, however, has been very complimentary of it, and I lend him a good deal of credence.

I'm harboring hope that Matrox will later add true triple head support, once the drivers are developed a bit more...

Dr. Moreau
                  System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

- Ive read those threads too. Although Independant Triple Head is nice. There really isnt a big disadvantage. The 1 guy was complaining about Overlays and how in Triple Head you couldnt watch ANY sort of movie file. As Haig mentioned, with others it is possible. But me being as 1, who is using Triple Head for work. It is a work of art. And people shouldnt judge something that they havnt tried . -
                    - ? -

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistral
                      - And people shouldnt judge something that they havnt tried . -

true true
                      System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

I'd certainly borrow a monitor and give triple head a try if I had a Parhelia. What I wanted to say is that feature is no longer a compelling selling point to me.
                        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I had a 3rd screen fall into my lap along with an Ultra 10. Surround gaming is quite cool.
                          I'm going to be stuffing a PCI card to run my 3rd screen when I'm not playing games. I've got a GF2MX200 PCI (Visiontek I think) that worked fine w/ my G400, so I'm hoping for no trouble w/ the parhelia. I'll probably try it this weekend.
                          Mike

Comment

Now I am concerned/confused. I currently have 3 monitors and 3 video cards. The primary is the in the middle and has the START button and clock on this middle monitor.

Is This going to be possible on the Parhelia?
                            Or am I going to be stuck with the START button on the far left, the clock on the far right, and all my applications on my apllication bar will be strung across all the monitors?

Comment

In triplehead, you can only used stretched mode, so if your taskbar is at the top/bottom of your desktop it will stretch across all monitors. So I dock it at the left side instead of top/bottom.

In DualHead independant (not stretched) mode, the taskbar stays on one display.
                              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
                              X