Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2!!! FPS in JK2 with Parhelia!?! WTF!

What's wrong!

I put it in my box this morning and everyhting other than JK2 works flawlessly!

JK2 on the other hand slows down to between 0 and 2fps as soon as I go to the load game screen in single player. At all res and with the CD drivers and the 3230 that I tried. With aniso and 16x faa on in pdesk-hf.

Any ideas?

BTW, for those interested, Morrowind runs wonderfully! Smoother by a LONG shot than the GF4 4200 I borrowed. Except in Balmora I still get major stutters - anyone else have problems in Blamora (they were there with the GF4 as well though)?

EDIT: 3d Mark - oh how useless - comes in at 4453 with out giga/aniso/page flipping. That sound right to you guys? I'm clueless here cause I scored 1619 with my MAX and that's my only comparrison.

BTW, I'd take a chick on a dragon ANY day...

-D

System specs:

Slot A T-Bird 800 @ 950
    MSI K7-Pro (119 Clk. Gen.)
    384 Megs Crucial Ram
    Parhelia Retail Baby! (running at AGP 2x - max for my mb)
    SB Live MP3 with optical i/o card
    DVD player
    CDR
    Slow ass hard drive

Lemme know if I missed something....
    Last edited by Muad'Dib; 18 July 2002, 15:21.
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Do you have volumetric shadows turned on? Noticed a Huge performance hit running it with that on with the current drivers.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

No shadows turned on. This seems to be the case going from all settings off or on at all resolutions.

-D

Hey, at least I can say there is no performance hit if I run at 640x480 or 1600x1200....
      "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
      --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib
        Hey, at least I can say there is no performance hit if I run at 640x480 or 1600x1200....
        The last game I had this was Morrowind... no difference between 640x480 and 1024x768 4xFSAA at max. details with a V5 5500

About JK2:
        Have you tried to reinstall the game? I also had a performance problem after switching to a Radeon 8500, I could solve it with totally deinstall the game and then reinstall it, I am not sure but I think it was No One Lives Forever. Anyway, you might want to give it a try, you can usually back up the savegames easily.
        Specs:
        MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

If you are running gigacolor for your desktop, but not games, try setting the desktop back to 16.8m, or set games for gigacolor.
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Both are set for Giga.... Tried that already.

I will try to reinstall it. Jedi gave me troubles when I borrowed the GF4 too and took a bunch of resets of teh game to get it to work. Who knows. It's worth a try.

-D
            --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Ok, I reinstalled it and now it works fine if I start a new game, but any time I go to load, it get's f'd up - at least until I go out of the "load" menu. Any ideas on that still?

Running beautifully at 800x600x32. Looks better by a LONG shot than that stupid GF4 4200 at 1024x768x32! Running much smoother with MUCH better IQ. Ummm, since the reinstall though, I've lost my fps counter. I think it's timedemo 1 from the console, but it's not coming back - any ideas?

So I copied my old save games back into the gamedata/saves directory, but I can't see them from the game. I would really like to be able to get my save games back.... Any ideas?

Thanks guys

-D
              --- Albert Einstein

Comment

try \cg_drawfps 1 in the console.

if that doesn't work you can try \cvarlist *fps* and find the proper entry.
                "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Muad'Dib, about Morrowind:
                  1) Install the patch to gain a bit of smothness and a few fps
                  2) In the Morrowind.INI there is something that sound like DoThreadLoad, however open it with notepad and search for "thread". Change the value from 0 to 1 to remove all the stutterings.
                  3) There is an executable on the net that remove the DiskSafe protection. You can use it to gain something like 10-15 fps and to totally remove stuttering.
                  Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Try turning on GL Extensions. Unfortunately the game disables GL Extensions when it detects a Matrox card. They had to do that because of a G400 bug we had way back. The problem why your fps drops to 2 since you have 200 megs of 1024x1024 that are trying to be uploaded on a 128 megs card. Of course in order to make it happen you need to compress them. By turning GL Extensions on you allow Parhelia to use the texture compression extension so your problem will be solved, let me know if that helps. I'll work with Lucasarts and Raven on forcing GL Extensions on in the next patch of JK2 so you don't have to do anything,

Regards,
                    "The opinions or comments expressed by me do not necessary reflect those of Matrox Graphics Inc."

Comment

ROM, I turned on GL extensions and yeah, what a difference! Went from 2 fps to averaging what appeared to be around 90+. BTW, 1024x768x32 seems to run better than 800x600x32 - can you explain this to me?

Can you explain to me though, why the level loading time takes forever? I know it's a known issue, but I don't understand what would make loading time take forever. My computer seems to just sit there without doing anything for like 10 minutes or so and then decides that it wants to load the level....

Can anyone tell me how to get JK2 to read my old save games?

Drizzt, haven't tried Morrowind yet, but I did change the number to 1 for that "DontLoadThread" thingy.

DGhost, thanks. It was \cg_drawfps 1.

Thanks guys!

-Dimitri
                      --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Sure, the texture compression algorithm is not currently efficient as the others. But it's on the list of priorities to do of course,

Regards,
                        "The opinions or comments expressed by me do not necessary reflect those of Matrox Graphics Inc."

Comment

Thanks Rom! Makes a little bit of sense to my meager computer knowledge.

Drizzt, I tried that trick and it seems to have helped performance quite a bit during the first couple of hours of playing - hey, I'm sick - but then performance went back to stuttering and choppy. Performance stayed the same when going from 1024x768x32 to 800x600x32 once I got to this slowing down point.... Ideas?

-D
                          --- Albert Einstein

Comment

I had the same thing , after reinstalling it runs smooth at 1280x1024x32 maxx quality and aniso (50-90 fps)
                            The reflections on the floor are MUCH better then I've seen on any videocard, no banding !!!
                            P4 2,4@2,6 AsusP4T-533 C 512 mb PC 1066 Quantum Atlas 10KII SCSI ATI R9700

Comment

If I reinstall, will I lose my savegames?

I don't want to happen what happened with JK2 with Morrowind - Just when I'm getting into my character too....

-D
                              --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X