Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't you just love some site's loyalties?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't you just love some site's loyalties?

We all know about THG and how the sponsor of the month always comes out on top, but just reading HardOCP's home page, and at the top they have:

IBM Hit Hard:
    IBM is posting some of the most dismal numbers ever., any time you are posting a net income loss of almost a billion dollars, you don’t need an analyst to tell you “this sucks!!”.
    From the linked article (http://www.siliconstrategies.com/story/OEG20020717S0055) :

<I>...and a drop in revenues of 32% ...</I>

But then, further down the page:

AMD 2nd Quarter:
    Well, it is no surprise, given the state of the economy, that sales are down.
    From the linked article (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/V...~36267,00.html) :

<I>...Second quarter sales declined by 39 percent ...</I>

So, AMD actually as a percentage had a drop in revenues just as much as IBM, but as IBM are so much bigger, the amount is so much more. Yet [H] have a go and basically laugh at IBM, whereas they think AMD's losses are acceptable.

Well part of the reason for them reporting that is that they had 6 IBM hard drives die on them in a short period of time...guess thats good reason to be pissed off :P
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

But they had so many AMDs die when their heatsinks kept randomly falling off
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

FYI:

"A $100 investment in AMD stock in February 1983 would be worth approximately $100 today. That is despite the enormous increase in size of the PC market over the past 19 years, AMD's stock has provided minimal investment return (in contrast, Intel's stock is up more than 4500% since early 1983)" SC Cowen analyst Mark Grosman

I guess you guys haven't burned up enough AMD processors

Paul
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

ralf,

That was pretty damn quick with the Radeon9000 avatar. Did you make it yourself or did you d/l it from somewhere.

Either way, good job!

-[Ch]ams

Comment

ALPM, but if I had bought AMD in 1999 and sold them in 2001, wouldn't I come out on top of someone that purchased intel stock at the same time?

It's all about when to buy & sell - unfortunately, I didn't have the money nor the balls to do it...

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

That one's nice

What is it? Cerberus?

AZ

Comment

AZ, I really considered buying Apple stocks for $5000 when they were at ~$10 before Steve Jobs entered the boat again.
                I knew the man had the skills AND the balls to bring the dead Apple back to life - but as I never had bought any stocks before I didn't do it that time as well. DOH!
                But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                My System
                2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                German ATI-forum

Comment

But really, I KNEW all this dotcom shite was gonna combust and firms' stocks would go through the sky, then all of a sudden will be worth nothing. If I JUST have had the balls to buy new market stock, and sell it shortly after (I wouldn't have minded losing a few dozen percent of revenue, when I have a few hundred), I'd be rich (at least richer) by now

Such a chance will likely never come again, IF people have learned from it. Let me rethink that - it'll happen again, I'll just have to wait
                  I just hope it happens again in a field I am interested in and have a little knowledge of. I'd never buy shares from a firm whose business I have no clue of.

AZ

Comment

Two years or so ago HP issued "re-invention grants," a couple hundred stock options to every employee. Those options are set at ~$62, damn close to our peak price. Today the stock is trading in the 13's. Blah.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                    X