How loud is loud?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How loud is loud?

right now I have several fans in a cheap case, fairly loud and I was looking at getting a new case.

The new case has two 80mm fans at 33db and 2 120mm fans at 44db.

Can anyone give me an idea of how loud that really is?

<FONT SIZE=4>Can you hear me now??...<FONT SIZE=3>How about now??...
    <FONT SIZE=2>Can you hear me now??...<FONT SIZE=1> How about now??...

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

it's loud when it's annoying you
      Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Almost every computer (including mine, sadly) is too loud. Some are just WAY too loud.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I heard that the most silent PC are using only fans which are under 21db, while the most over 30db seems to become loud.... I heard that 40 and more would be really annoying and should be only used if heavy cooling is important while totally ignoring the noise.
          Specs:
          MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

Originally posted by ALBPM
            <FONT SIZE=4>Can you hear me now??...<FONT SIZE=3>How about now??...
            <FONT SIZE=2>Can you hear me now??...<FONT SIZE=1> How about now??...

Paul
            Oh so your the Verizon wireless guy now?
            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

If it's loud enough to melt your gonads and/or fuse atoms, it's too loud. I can recommend a good attorney.

-[Ch]ams

Comment

Everytime you say the word attorney, blurred images of bats, Raoul Duke and his partner all come to my mind.
                Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

What someone needs to do is attack this problem from the reverse direction: active noise control.

A signal processor detects the ambient sound and generates the same signal in realtime and at the same db level but 180 degrees out of phase. This signal is then output through a speaker. The net effect is that the original sounds pressure wave is cancelled out.

This technique is already in use in some automobiles using the audio systems speakers, but is targeted for many other applications in the future including aircraft cabins etc. No reason it couldn't be applied to computer guts.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Sure there is. The nature of the sound radiation. Silencing an interior space like ducting or a plane/car cabin is one thing, but trying to cancel out a noise generator like a case is a nastier problem.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Actually I would suspect the fans would be the target. Given that they are regular, as in fairly consistant, sounds they should be easy to cancell out. This would work much as the devices being developed to cancell out aircraft engines & prop noise.

IF you do this inside the case then the case itself shouldn't have much to react to. At worst a secondary system using the computer speakers should finish off the job externally.

Dr. Mordrid
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 July 2002, 10:24.
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Well, I got my Parhelia today, so I also installed my new mainboard and a new CPU cooler... it is a Coolermaster HHC-001 Heatpipe, according to www.pc-cooling.de the fan is around 47db and all I can say that it IS loud!
                        It sounds like I have somekind of plane on my left side, I haven't closed my case yet though... but I don't think that it will help much to close it.
                        Specs:
                        MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

Here ya go......

No more fan noise

Paul
                          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

[Rant]
                            CoolerMaster HS's Suck! (OK, OK, Technically they blow )

A good HS design works well with a low rpm fan and scales up with faster ones! (Thermalright, Alpha…)

A bad design that needs a HIGH amount of airflow just to cool a 2-year-old CPU (P3 800)!
                            (Powercooler, a few thermaltake’s(do I have to say ORB?), to many Colermasters!)

A customer came in with a computer that didn’t work!
                            He suspected the memory! (I suspected him….)
                            I was right!
                            The POS Coolermaster he had bought together with his XP1900 was mounted backwards!
                            That was a “new” Colermaster HS that were “certified” to XP2000! (Where do they certify them? On Antarctica!?!?
                            Went down in the basement to my “old POS HS” drawer.
                            And guess what I found!?!
                            The SAME HS! But that one was 2 years old!!!
                            So their formula must have been: Take insufficient HS and connect it to loud and whiny FAN!
                            That Fan was Noisy, ineffective and expensive!!! (it will be when the CPU boils away!)
                            [/Rant]
                            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Alpha HS and Papst fans, now there's a nice combination. Now the noise from those two HD's starting to get annoying...

Max

Comment

Working...
                              X