Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Explorer 6

Hi All

I have Win98 SE and have downloaded all the critical updates also all the IE5.5 updates. I then tried to download files from a site and all I get is a small icon top left hand corner. Downloaded IE6 same results. I can't download anything.

Anyone have an answer before I format and start over??

tia

Dasher
    Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Mother Board
    Intel 3.01GHZ CPU
    1024 mb KingMax DDR ram
    RT X10
    Millenium G550
    Main HDD Seagate 40gb
    2nd HDD Seagate 120gb
    Win XP SP2
    Adobe Premiere 6.5
    DVDWS 2
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    DVD Burner Sony DRU-510A
    Sony HandycamDCR-PC100e

Try to use IEradicator to remove and reinstall IE...
    Utilities to customize and tweak Windows XP and Windows 98/ME for performance and embedded computers. Free Trials available!
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I then tried to download files from a site and all I get is a small icon top left hand corner
      what site is it??

Comment

I'm with ya there Leech, mostly because I write code for a living, but there is the principle of it too...
        Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Hey speaking of IE6 and supporting standards, can anyone tell me how well the XML + XSLT parsing is? I use Mozilla and everything works great, but I only have IE 5.5 and it doesn't do it at all. I'm making my personal site in XML though, so I want to know if any IE users can see it.
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

http://www.hubcityoregon.com/ ?

I tried that and get a message saying the page cannot be displayed. Of course, that could be anything.

98SE I.E.6 All updates.
            Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 17 July 2002, 18:43.

Comment

Lol, whoops, that's really, really old, nothing there. I just meant in general, like if it is supposed to be completely implemented or they have just put in bits and pieces. Thanks for reminding me that I need to update my profile
              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
              Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Had a bit of problems with IE6 and win98SE/Win2K myself
                Going back to IE5.5 solved the problems.. seems IE6 is best suited for WinXP (friends running WinXPpro had no problems or whatsoever)
                Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

works fine on every pc I've installed it on.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

IE6 seems to be doing fine on all the PCs I have installed it on as well.

I have had a few sites puking because of too high default "security" and "privacy" settings in IE6 though - lowering the deafult setting clears the problem usually.

Also had a few banking sites that refused to run without very particular modifications (tickmarks added/removed from the security section dropdown list in the option section) - in particular SSL2.0/3.0 and TSL1.0.
                    Lawrence

Comment

IE6

Thanks for your interest guy. Gave up anf formatted. No more IE6 for me

dasher
                      Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Mother Board
                      Intel 3.01GHZ CPU
                      1024 mb KingMax DDR ram
                      RT X10
                      Millenium G550
                      Main HDD Seagate 40gb
                      2nd HDD Seagate 120gb
                      Win XP SP2
                      Adobe Premiere 6.5
                      DVDWS 2
                      Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
                      DVD Burner Sony DRU-510A
                      Sony HandycamDCR-PC100e

Comment

So I take it you are back to running W98 with IE5.5 - Yes?

And thats OK now, but wasnt the last time you tried?
                        Lawrence

Comment

I.E. 6.0 and Win98 act up in some rare circumsatnces. On my computer for example. Moving files from one drive to another or emptying them from the recycle bin can cause my machine to go not responding. I tried posting here, on TechTVs forums as well as M$'s but I usually get a response something like "Hmm, I've/We've never seen that before. If I/We ever find out something we'll post it. If you find out anything, tell us/me."

They don't mix right. I thing I'll try Mozilla again. THe last couple of times, I had trouble even crashing but that was months ago.

Comment

Anyone (leech) saying IE6 is a pile of **** and suggesting it doesn't handle CSS or other stuff obviously hasn't bothered using it much. It's probably not the best piece of software but it's no longer the worst! Mozilla may be better (I don't know) but many many people get on OK with IE. I use 6 on Win2K and have no problems at all.

TnT - install the latest XML parser from http://www.topxml.com/parsers/#Microsoft%20Parsers

Why does everyone blame something on IE? (recycle bin query)?? It's more likely to be bad config elsewhere - the original query was not particulary obvious but
                            Cheers, Reckless

Comment

Working...
                            X