Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

graphical glitches during OpenGL games??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• graphical glitches during OpenGL games??

hey pplz

i wonder if you guys get any graphical glitches when you play OpenGL games such as Counter-Strike (Direct3D is fine), GTAIII, Quake III?? what i mean is that part of the screen goes haywire and starts flashing....I get them all the time and sometimes the whole game freezes up (hard freeze) requiring a reset. I have no problems with Direct3D but just that i dun use it much cos its slightly slower.

This sometimes also happens in Windows XP, where it just freezes randomly at times (very occasionally though)...and i get a message saying that the "device driver was unable to complete a drawing operation".

I have all the latest drivers and stuff...so i dun noe if it is just my graphics card or my comp. BTW, here's my comp specs:

Pentium III 600Mhz
    256MB RAM
    13.6GB HDD
    32MB Matrox G400 MAX
    and

What drivers are you using? The ones that came with the card, or have you updated them recently?

I've not seen glitches in CS or Q3, but I'm not as active a gamer as I used to be. Can't test now because of motherboard failure, but I had Win2000/G400MAX running good, on 5.82 iirc

P.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Running win2k with a MAX using 5.82 without major glitches. Slow as shit in some new games (JK 2, Morrowind), but still kicking, which ain't bad as I reckon for a 3 (?) year old card.

I do get the occasional flickering textures and what-nots, but no freezes or "device driver ..." errors.

Are you oc'ing it/anything at all?

-D
      "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
      --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Actaully, I've been wondering about the latest OpenGL drivers for the G400 too. We can run D3D stuff all day long without a single glitch, but sometimes while playing OpenGL stuff like NWN or Pontifex (bridge builder 3D), the screen will, without any hint or prior warning, "break down" into something that strongly resembles what happens if you seriously overclock a video card. The system won't crash, and you can get back to the desktop although everything stays corrupted there too, forcing a reboot to fix it. I opened the case the last time it happened and the card and memory wasn't abnormally hot. This is with Win98 and the 6.83 drivers, and I'm pretty sure I had it happen with the 6.82 ones too. I suppose it could be the card's starting to die or something, but since it never happens with D3D, I'm kinda suspicious that it's more a driver issue.

Comment

nah im not overclocking or nething and im using the latest drivers (5.84). i even tried switching back to 5.82 and 5.72 but my screen goes absolutely garbled when playing CS and GTAIII. I have some screenshots of GTAIII:

hmmm...rite now i am unable to play ne OpenGL (except Q3A) for more than 5-10 minutes....so crap....
          Last edited by steverulz55; 18 July 2002, 06:22.
          and

Comment

um dunno why the last 2 images dont work....just copy and paste into address bar
            and

Comment

I was under the impression that GTAIII was D3D and not OpenGL...
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Working...
              X