No $ for Parhelia? No Problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No $ for Parhelia? No Problem!

Just get your employer to buy one for you.

I just got my new employer to purchase a parhelia to accompany the new p4 2ghz Gateway they bought me. They had originally offered either a quad head g200 or a 3dlabs oxygen card to replace the stock geforce2 mx. Nvidia's non-professional cards have a known issue with solidworks so they knew they would have to give me an upgrade. When I asked the IT manager if I could order a parhelia he said no, until I explained it was matrox's new professional card. Hopefully I will have the retail version by next week.

good work
    System 1:
    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
    Epox 8K7A
    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
    SBLIVE 5.1
    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
    3Com Hardware Modem
    Teac 20/10/40 burner
    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Dammit

I'm am IT professional earning a very good wage. Small company earning loads of £££.

Working on a PII-350 with 256 meg RAM.

Asked for a new PC last week. Director said no. I said why? He said it's got no benefit. I then compiled our product on his top of the range laptop - 15 mins. 2 hours later on mine and it still ain't finished.

He still aint conviced - but he agreed to use my PC for a week whilst I use his laptop. If my productivity increases and his drops then I get a new PC. Only prob is - how do i make Word work slower?

Ah well - the only bummer in my job
      "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

µße®LørÐ - A legend in his underwear
      Member of For F*ck Sake UT clan
      DriverHeaven administrator
      PowerVR Network administrator

Comment

Word is deisgned to work slower by default You should have a new computer in no time!

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
          Word is deisgned to work slower by default You should have a new computer in no time!
          I could always rip the 256 meg expansion stick out

Until I realise he doesn't need it anyway.......

The "Technical Director" only uses Word and Outlook Express running on XP Home edition

As opposed to my rig running Win2K, SQL 2K, Mozilla, Apache, PHP and Eudora.

AND my developed apps........

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

/me bangs head on wall in furstration.......
          "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

µße®LørÐ - A legend in his underwear
          Member of For F*ck Sake UT clan
          DriverHeaven administrator
          PowerVR Network administrator

Comment

There is still some program which reduces the CPU speed.... or even disables the cache of the CPU which makes even Paint to run slower

Otherwise I wish you good luck on your quest for a new comp!
            Specs:
            MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

That reminds me of the 3 years I spent trying to get my former employer to replace an obsolete Sparc. All I really wanted was a $3000 Ultra 5 or 10, with an extra vid card ($200 for the cheap 2D model) and some extra (3rd party of course) memory.
              In other words, no more expensive than the Thinkpads everyone else was getting.
              I finally got one when the Sun Blade 100 came out. It cost $1500 including the extra 512MB & $200 vid card, and ran circles around the Thinkpads doing builds & CVS checkouts. It would have gotten smoked by a decent desktop PC though.
              The laptops' downfall was thier disk IO. Laptop drives stink.
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by UberLord
                Dammit

I'm am IT professional earning a very good wage. Small company earning loads of £££.

Working on a PII-350 with 256 meg RAM.

Asked for a new PC last week. Director said no. I said why? He said it's got no benefit. I then compiled our product on his top of the range laptop - 15 mins. 2 hours later on mine and it still ain't finished.

He still aint conviced - but he agreed to use my PC for a week whilst I use his laptop. If my productivity increases and his drops then I get a new PC. Only prob is - how do i make Word work slower?

Ah well - the only bummer in my job
                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I feel your pain. My pc at my old job was a p166 running nt. I would ask solidworks to render then go on break for 30min. And don't even ask about some Access queries I had to run... I got fed up one day and secretly o/c it too a p200. Shhhhhh... don't let the secret out.

Comment

Remember, the more you overclock it, the more risk you run of permenantley damaging it. And it'd be <B>so sad</B> if you had to get a new PC because the old one died
                    MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

True, but on that old board, 3*66mhz was a high as you could go. They did buy me a new pc but I had to use it to datalog a product life test. The original plan was to swap, but the old pc would refuse to run with a GPIB card so I had to use the new one for the test. Besides, I became somewhat attached to "old Bessie."

Comment

WORD is a memory and cpu hog.

1. Reduce the amount of memory in the computer.
                        2. In the Bios, change all parameters to slowest settings.
                        3. Fill the HDD so the swap file will be heavily fragmented.

This way, every time he switches applications, he'll have to wait something like 2-3 seconds

Comment

Hey!

I work on a Pentium 133 with 64MB and a 15' using Visual Basic, Visual C and Access.

When I go back home, my PC seems a NASA one
                          Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Change IDE to use PIO mode...

This setting even kills a TigerMPX & MP1800+ * 2 machine's speed during the large disk I/O access. (As slow as P3-1G + i815E)
                            Last edited by WayneHu; 17 July 2002, 00:47.
                            P4-2.8C, IC7-G, G550

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzt
                              Hey!

I work on a Pentium 133 with 64MB and a 15' using Visual Basic, Visual C and Access.

When I go back home, my PC seems a NASA one
                              My desk PC at work is a PII-400 with 192MB ram and a G200 8MB (I'm not changing this PC) but what I have to do at work I do it either on an HP cluster 2XRP7400 (which is 2X2@750MHZ cpus, 2X2 GB memory) or on an HP cluster 2XRP8400 (which is again 2X2@750MHZ cpus, 2X2 GB memory) all using filestore on an HP XP512 cabinet. And if I have something light I run it on one of the two HP A500 (1 cpu at 550Mhz 1GB ram each)........... uh and I have a company Compaq laptop (PIII@800, 192 MB ram 20GB HD)...........Thank you very much

The laptop has an ATI Rage Mobility M/P, any chance for a mobile Matrox chip ever?!?
                              Last edited by Pegasus_gr; 17 July 2002, 01:22.
                              Old rig:
                              PIII 533 Slot1, ECS P6Bat-a+
                              2x133MB PC133 Ram, Matrox G400DH 32MB
                              Quantum Fireball Plus AS 40GB
                              Quantum Fireball CR 13GB
                              Yamaha CDRW 8424, Hitachi GD2500BX, Eizo T760 19"
                              New one:
                              P4 2.8C, MSI 865PE-NEO2 LS
                              4x256 PC3200 Samsung Gold
                              Club-3D Radeon 9800PRO 128MB
                              Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 200GB
                              Quantum Fireball Plus AS 40GB
                              Sony DVD-RW DW-U10A, Sony DDU1613
                              Eizo T760 19", 2.1 Altec Lancing 2100
                              HP printer/scanner, Microsoft KB/mouse/joystick, Wacom Tablet
                              Antec Sonata Piano Quiet 380W case

Comment

Working...
                              X