Activision can kiss my a$$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Activision can kiss my a$$

Take this for what it's worth, my contact at big M has told me that Activision no longer wants to do any kind of Surround Gaming support for Soldier of Fortune 2 on Parhelia, even though the fixes are pretty basic. Activision doesn't want to do the QA work on a single-player patch, and thinks that wide FOV in multiplayer is a cheat. Also, they don't want to release an unsupported beta patch, as it's 'against policy'. Seems SoF2 Surround Gaming is dead before it even started...Of course, if we complain enough to them, mebbe they'll change their minds!

Ciao

Well I guess it wasn't just a few of us that felt that using Surround Gaming is cheating. This would really be unfortunate if a number of game companies universally refused to support Surround Gaming.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

It's not cheating if it becomes a standard.

Besides, the differences in pings and hardware is a much more severe advantage than surround gaming would be. They are obviously just making excuses because they are nothing but a bunch of stupid lazy ****oles.

Comment

I would like to see on-line games handicap pings to balance the advantage (though going from dial-up to DSL hasn't helped me much).

P.S. Dynamic handicapping wouldn't be desirable in most games where players come and go during a game.
        Last edited by xortam; 16 July 2002, 15:39.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I second that, surround gaming can not be seen as a cheat. Having a slow graphics card is a disadvantage, playing against someone with suround gaming is an unfair disadvantage, but they are easily fixed: go buy yourself better hardware. Wallhacks, aimbots and network latencies are a whole lot worse if you ask me.

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
          the differences in pings and hardware is a much more severe advantage than surround gaming would be. They are obviously just making excuses because they are nothing but a bunch of stupid lazy ****oles.

Comment

cable vs 56k could be considered a cheat.

5 button optical wheel mouse vs 2 button POS mouse could be considered a cheat.

Lame a$$ excuse.

/me runs off to play some more UT
            "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

µße®LørÐ - A legend in his underwear
            Member of For F*ck Sake UT clan
            DriverHeaven administrator
            PowerVR Network administrator

Comment

Yes, this is actually a really bad excuse.
              I don't call it cheating, because then basicly everbody who has better hardware would be cheating.
              A person who plays Quake III on his aging K6-2 500 with a V3 3000 on 56k connection and is fighting against a guy with his new shiny P4 2,53 GHz, a Ti4600 on a SDSL connection would be also cheating then. Also Uberloards mouse statement is more then correct, a friend of mine still plays with a usual three button mouse, with my Intellimouse Explorer I can change weapons faster, and in AHL I can reload much faster and heal better, because the buttons are all on my mouse and not on the keyboard.
              What I would call cheating are some transparent texture tricks which Asus used a while ago, but triple-head is definatly not cheating.
              Specs:
              MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

What I would call cheating are some transparent texture tricks which Asus used a while ago, but triple-head is definatly not cheating.
                did you know that the new sis-xabre graphic-card has the same transparent texture trick in their drivers, appearently they didn´t learn anything from asus´s mistake.

Now, THATS bad cheating.
                This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

woah gino lives
                  www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

I totally agree with Gino, Activision can kiss our collective MURCY BUTTS!

I personally think it's laziness on their side, either that or they don't want to jeopordize their relationship with other partners.

Surround Gaming Rules PERIOD!

Comment

I think I'll start playing UT with you guys soon.
                      I'll do it on an old P133 with 16Mb, windows 95, cirrus logic 5446 and a soundblaster (8 bit) compatible card (non PCI).
                      I'll use a 14Kbps modem on a very noisy line as well.

Now, considering the differences between this computer and yours, every kill I manage is worth 10,000 kills !

Puzzled ?

See this calculation:

CPU is 1/4 from what most of you have
                      Graphic card (can you really call it a graphic card ? ) is 1/20 from yours
                      sound is 1/4 from yrurs
                      memory is 1/8
                      connection speed is 1/4
                      etc. etc. etc.

4*20*4*8*4 = 10,240

Since your computer is 10,240 times stronger than mine, unless you accept this killing ratio, you're all CHEATERS !!!

Oh, you don't ? Then I'm not playing with you anymore !!!

Comment

You gotta kill me first
                        "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

µße®LørÐ - A legend in his underwear
                        Member of For F*ck Sake UT clan
                        DriverHeaven administrator
                        PowerVR Network administrator

Comment

If the player playing with 3 monitors can see an opponent in peripheral vision (on those additional monitors) then there's a potential advantage. To term it "cheating" is a tad harsh but anyone would have to honestly say that it's indeed a dubious area.

Might I just add that this is exactly the kind of situation I hoped Matrox would avoid - developers not wishing to make use of the 'custom' bits of the Parhelia. Let's hope that other developers don't find equally thin excuses not to provide 'proper' support for the P.
                          Cheers, Reckless

Comment

I think the "cheating" is just a lame excuse to get out of doing what they promised Matrox they would do.

Comment

What could possibly be the reason not to implement this? Obviously it'snot actual cheating, and implementing it was done already. So i don't see the problem?

I don't like SOFII so i don't need surround gaming support, but if activision cancels support more companies will probably.

I have written an email to activion detailing my look on this matter, and i recommend everyone does the same.

[edit] I play Quake 3 arena with FOV set at 120 anyway. This is allowed within the game itself, it just looks better when 3 monitors are used which puts things back in its original size for the most part. I'm a cheater then i guess. (Quake3 also is an Activision distributed game)

[edit2, conspiracy mode on] Maybe this is nVidia and/or ATi's doing...
                              Last edited by P5ycho; 22 July 2002, 18:31.

Comment

Working...
                              X