MSP 6.51a summary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSP 6.51a summary

I've been following the threads here and elsewhere and have also been trying it myself with minor pseudo-projects. I'll make the following comments from my own and others' experiences:

1. DV Out: this seems to be the biggest complaint. I've tried it with my DVCAM tape deck and had no difficulty in recording back a DV file. On the other hand, I could not send a signal out through my ADVC-100. I never tried before installing 6.51a, so I don't know whether this is new. However, it seems clear that something must have happened to the signal, from others' comments, that simulates a Macrovision protection, and this may well be what is happening with the ADVC-100 because the deck is obviously receiving a good signal from the DV interface card. Doc's registry tweak made no difference.

2. I've seen 2 posts and have experienced the same thing myself a couple of times. You are doing things (in my case editing) and the window just disappears, no warning, no error message, just the desktop. It is possible to restart the app and carry on, although the error recovery feature does not seem reliable (one report stated lost audio requiring a complete project re-render to bring it back). In my case, as I have automatic save every 10 minutes, I just restarted the DVP file without problem.

3. One post reported that it was necessary to delete the ini file for anything to work. I did this myself after installing it, because scrubbing didn't work, although other things did.

4. One post reported jerky previews, but I haven't noticed anything specific. I don't think that it was stated whether "Instant" or "Quick" was on. I use neither, as a rule.

5. One person complained that there was incompatibility between the new codecs and a third party plug-in (ViZfx, I think, whatever that may be), but this may be O/S dependent. One person reported getting it working under XP after a complex re-install procedure.

6. These problems seem a priori to be independent of hardware (CPU type, graphics card, etc) or O/S (at least 2000/XP). However, they may have some relationship to DirectX version (I use 8.1 except for the beta 9 DV codec). This is rarely reported.

7. I've been astonished at the arrogance of certain parties who happen to have had no apparent problems and who refuse to admit that others may have had, putting all the blame on the individuals, rather than the patch. This was, IMHO, inadmissible. I thought I had the monopoly of arrogance here

My purpose in this long and difficult message is to try to crystallise our thoughts and to appeal to those with problems to help us find the common points behind them. For that, we need to have the co-operation of those without problems, as well, to act as a control. If we can collect facts, the we can tell Ulead what the problems really are. Let's start by seeing whether all those with problems are use DX 8.1 and with which O/S. In my case 8.1 with W2k SP2. Do others with 8.1 and W2k or XP have or have not these problems and do any with other versions of DX have or have not them?
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Hi Brian,

W2k with DX8.1 and DX8.1b give the same results.

You could do a 'repair' back to 6.5 and see if you can then output to your ADVC-100.

With regards to the video only playback, I'm not experience anything other than smooth video on my camcorder display - just no audio - and an inability to record it!

Regards,

Nick.

Comment

So far I've not seen any of the reported problems in either of two systems so far. I'm getting weird behaviour in DVD Movie Factory that I installed after updating to 6.51a, haven't had enough free time to try and sort it out, but Ulead Tech Support has refused to take a problem report requiring a username and password that I don't have -- my registration ID and password don't work!

I'll try DVD MF on a plain 6.5 system and check my DV out a bit more carefully on 6.51a, seemed to work last night for a short playback test thru my ADVC-100.

In any event, on W2K or XP the blame clearly lies with Ulead if there is a DLL conflict of any kind as there is no longer *any* excuse for this kind of thing since both support "side-by-side" DLLs so if the installer is done right no system should ever have to run any app with other DLLs than the ones developed against.

If its a DirectX problem the blame clearly goes to Microsoft as I'm not certain the parallel DLLs work with DirectX components.

On win9x DLL-Hell is still and always will be the norm.

Unless one of the Windows Critical Updates has changed something in DirectX, I'm still running the DirectX 8 installed MSP6 (or Premiere).

Brian, glad to see you back, hope your recovery is going well.

--wally.

Comment

Wally,

I dont' have a Ulead "username and password" either. I sent my e-mail description of my 6.51a problems to Ulead at

info@ulead.com

and I referenced my latest install disk's serial number, along with my full name and address.

Jeff B

Comment

Given the sly and underhanded approach often taken by video software designers et.al nowadays to force their flavor of a particular codec etc down the throat of every system their software gets installed on and the resulting confusion caused by differing system responses as a result of differing installation orders of the same packages, I would think it highly unlikely that its going to be simple.

Add to that the fact, where in my case , 2 Sony DCR TRV310E cameras from the same batch(?) and supplier with serial numbers differing by only 4, produce both good and bad experiences with the patch when hooked up to the same pc setup - hmmmmmm..................

I post the contents of my main box here detailing all of the components that are known to have caused interaction/interference with video components - lets hope some bright soul finds a common component to blame.

Gigabyte GA-81RX (Intel 845),bios F6,INF 3.20.1008, P4-1.8a, 512M DDR,
          APM W2KPro+SP2+all"non DRM" related updates,Mplayer6.4,IE6,DirectX8.1b,
          Matrox 450eTV running 4x AGP (256M aperture) on Bios 1.7b33,Samsung SW32 CDRW.
          Boot/progs : Dedicated 20G WD200BB Capture : Dedicated 80G Maxtor
          Swapfile 600M fixed on Dedicated 20G WD200BB
          Stock standard onboard audio (Creative PCI128) - All in PALi.
          Editing software: Studio7.13.6, Premiere 6.01, MSP6.51a, DVD Moviefactory
          ECDC5 Platinum, Nero with SVCD plugin,Sasami2K,PowerDVD XP
          Pinnacle DV plus (TI OHCI Firewire + analogue output)

I have to note that while using the same connections,cables,pc etc, both Premiere and Studio does not show the bad/jittery playback experienced with the Wonky Sony cam" as seen with MSP - dont know if that means anything.

DX8.1b was working ok (as far as I know) before the application of the Ulead patch.

Going back to MSP 6.5 restores BOTH my cams to good bahaviour with DV playback.
          Lawrence

Comment

I'm sure it's just a glitch on how copy protection is triggered on some of the Sony's, Lawrence. I'd say that the outboard device gets triggered, then the newly patched software gets triggered as a result, via the IEEE-1394, and it all goes south from there.

The key element here is the triggering of copy protection being detected, where (quite obviously) none should be present.

Notice that the timeline playback actually starts running on the computer with this problem, and it runs for a second or so before the outboard device shows any sign of responding. During this very noticable pause, the newly patched software has to now "reconfigure" somehow to prevent copying, in response to outboard device doing a "choke and puke" to indicate copy protection (it's a two way stream on IEEE-1394, don't forget). It does that by splitting out the audio to another device (sound card output). Now, it has to use more overhead to split video away from audio, and send the video out one device, and the audio out another device. This uses up more resources and you've got bigger time slices "multitasking", hence the jerky video.

Sound plausible so far?

Since this patch changes MPEG codecs, it's a sure bet that licensing requirements pertaining to Macrovision implimentation for any software developers using it has forced Ulead to write this patch with much more stringent and complicated barriers against anyone using it to copy DVD's, and (as a cconsequence) this has glitched the DV playback of homemade video somehow.

I'm certainly not surprised by this eventuality, I just hope they can fix it without the Macrovision GOON SQUAD breaking into their offices and litigating them out of existence...

Comment

support@ulead.com generated an obviously automated reply telling me to fill out a tech support request at the sight that I was telling them didn't work!

--wally.

Comment

Geez Wally! Don't you just hate computers?

I sent mine to info@ulead.com Maybe a human will read it before the automated system sees it and pukes it back in my direction.

Comment

I don't hate computers, I hate stupid programmers!

Nothing useful can come from an autoresponder, it wastes my time and proves the company doesn't care about support, only the illusion.

Outputed ~35 minutes from my MSP6.51a timeline thru ADVC-100 without problems.

Now I'll try DVD Movie Factory on my "junker" system that still has MSP6.5 or my wife's that has MSP6VE (so I can make the ocassional *.asf file -- something I lost with the MSP6.5 update) and see if the problems of not being able to set chapter points in certain regions persits.

--wally.

Comment

For what it's worth, this was just posted to the MediaStudio Pro Users Group e-mail list (MUG):

>Well, folks. . . .
                    >It WAS one of the installed CODECs
                    >on my XP Pro system that inhibited
                    >the 6.51a patch from running Video Editor.

>I removed a variety of old CODECs
                    >from the Control Panel, tried the
                    >install again, and am now rendering
                    >out a file as I type this. Seems to
                    >be working well so far.

>Sorry I didn't remove each CODEC
                    >systematically to check for which one
                    >was the offender. I nuked all of my
                    >DiVX, PICVideo and Motion JPEG2000
                    >ones, though, plus a few misc video
                    >CODECs. I plan to reinstall select
                    >video applications with care, verifying
                    >no conflicts with 6.51a.

>Meantime, please check your
                    >Video Codecs dialog box and
                    >weed out judiciously.

>I think I owe Ulead tech support
                    >a beer or something.

>-John W.
                    >Buffalo

Comment

OK, this effort was not very successful

It has become academic for me, now, as I've reverted to 6.50 until Ulead bring out a patch for the patch. It's now all systems go, including DV-out from computer to both the DV deck AND the Canopus ADVC-100, which I've just used to make a VHS tape with MUCH better results than I was able to get from my old G-200 Marvel. No metric tests but my subjective impression is that I have an extra c. 50 horizontal lines and a better audio dynamic range (better s/n ratio). However, it is rare that I need to make VHS tapes now.

I'm not convinced that the problems are 100% codec-related, though. There are so many problems with 6.51a that I think there is probably several causes. One interesting point from this thread, I think, is that all the persons reporting have been running DX-8. If anyone with DX-7 has had problems, could they please say so?????

Comment

Hi Brian

DX8.1b has been mentioned a few times in this scenario

I have no problems with Win 2000 & DX8.1a.

btw is it possible to walk in Limmasol without a taxi offering you a lift

Regards

John

Comment

John

I never even try to walk in Limassol or any other tourist resorts: I avoid them like the plague. I went to Stavros tis Psokas and walked in the hills round there the other day and didn't see a single tourist, or taxi. I then motored from there to Polis and still didn't see a single tourist (or hire car with a red plate) until we got to Polis (c. 40 km). Give me one good reason why I should go to any tourist resort, when there are still many idyllic corners of this island, untouched by tourists and their concomitant trash!

Comment

Stavros tis Psokas looks a nice place for a walk

Polis has taxi's as well
                            Home - Follow The Sun Hotel Studios, Apartments and Villas for rent +357-26-321543 - Polis Chrysochous, Cyprus

I had a great time in Cyprus a few years ago anyways

Best Regards

John

Comment

Working...
                            X