dual processor socket 478 mobos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dual processor socket 478 mobos

are there any rambus supprting(ideally 533 fsb capable) motherboards out there at the moment or any planned to ship by september ie in the shops by then, thank you
    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

I doubt it. Even Intel uses SDRAM in their servers.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

There aren't even any dually socket 478 mobos! The 533fsb Xeons are due in the late 3rd quarter/early 4th... along with dual channel DDRxxx.

Comment

Intel is missing the boat with not making their Socket 478s dual compatible.

Intel is due to come out with their Dual Xeon workstation chipset the 7501 be the end of the year, it will feature dual channel DDR.

In the meantime, we do have something nearly as tasty from our good friends at Asus...

Check out the Love...

Check out the details here.
        Last edited by MultimediaMan; 15 July 2002, 22:08.
        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Blimey!!

That's nearly £650 over here !

Comment

Barry, it *is* a serverworks chipset.

Comment

Originally posted by MultimediaMan
              Intel is missing the boat with not making their Socket 478s dual compatible.
              The reason they did not make any p4 chipsets to allow SMP is because:
              1) they want to spread the server market away from the desktop market. It is a good way to sell more of their Xeon. Who's to say if it's a good move or bad?

2) they plan to implement Hyperthreading (SMT) in the P4s early next year. Hyperthreading is already on the p4 core but is not "enabled". Xeons have it already enabled. By enabled i mean having a BIOS that supports it.
              -mungu

"She won't last forever, so why buy her diamonds?"

Comment

Yes, it is uses Serverworks chipsets...My sister works for Serverworks' parent company Broadcom and does she get a discount? Noooo.

According to Serverworks, this AGP chipset is full-speed and completely sorted out.
                Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

2) they plan to implement Hyperthreading (SMT) in the P4s early next year. Hyperthreading is already on the p4 core but is not "enabled". Xeons have it already enabled. By enabled i mean having a BIOS that supports it.
                  It's probably more than that. I doubt it works correctly.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                    It's probably more than that. I doubt it works correctly.
                    That's definately a possibility...but I have it on my Xeons, works just fine So it's not like they dont have the technology right, it just might be that they dont have it working on the P4. I truthfully dont know enough facts about the p4 core and hyperthreading to really make any definate statements, but that is what i have understood.
                    -mungu

"She won't last forever, so why buy her diamonds?"

Comment

I too have it on my Xeons. It does some serious improvements for Distributed Computing. (ie. 30-50% more work done by running 4 clients at the same time with hyperthreading enabled)

Comment

Isochar,

I know that, but how do I convince the treasurer (swmbo) that I *need* + 2 x Xeon + Parhelia?

Comment

Tell him that the system is tax deductible, so the company will save more by spending more.

Comment

BTW, the cost of a 1.8ghz 512kb cache Xeon is ~$200, a 1.8ghz 512kb P4 is ~$170. (Both OEM) The difference would be in the price of the motherboards, since all Xeon mobos are "industrial strength".

Comment

Working...
                            X