Trouble with display on a laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with display on a laptop

Hi, I just installed Mandrake 8.1 on a laptop and I can't get the display fully correct. I'm a newbie so I'm using the Control Center in Mandrake. I know my video chipset (CT65548) which is supported and I've read the documentation for C&T chips on XFree.org. I know the LCD display (Hitachi LMG9910ZWCC), but this isn't in the list of monitors.

The only generic monitor I can get to work is the SVGA 800x600 @56hz, but the display is only showing on the left 2/3 of the screen and the refresh rate is horrible (the CT can do dotclock of 80Mhz). In the extra options the FixPanelSize and UseModeline don't work and DacSpeed isn't showing. Don't really know what else to do, and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Thien
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

alright, I did some seaching, and here is a list of specs that I figured matched what you stated closest:
    Code:
     Chips and Technology, C&T 65548, 208 Pin, PQFP
    11.3" DSTN SVGA LMG9910ZWCC/Hitachi
    LCD Display resolution 800x600 256 colors
    External CRT resolution 1024x768 256 colors
    Supports simultaneous LCD & CRT
    I found this off of a site that displayed some specs for an nec laptop with a similar graphics chip and lcd. So the reason I think that it does that is that it will only support that kind of res, I would try upping the refresh just a little to see what would happen, but on the lcd, it looks like 800x600 is the limit. I hope that this helps.
    My Computer-
    CPU:AMD Athlon XP 1600+
    MB/RAM:Abit AT7 / 256 266mhz DDR
    HDD: 14 GB Maxtor/8 GB Western Digital
    VIDEO:Matrox G400 32 MB

Comment

Tnt,

Does the Mandrake X config utility offer a generic LCD panel 800x600? This is what I use for my laptop screen (1024x768 in my case).

If not, edit your XF86Config file and remove the lines that start with "HorizSync" and "VertRefresh". Also remove any resolutions apart from the native one for your LCD (800x600), down in the "Modes".

Hope that helps,
      Rahul
      Porsche: MSI K7N2-L, Athlon XP 2100+, G400 32MB DualHead, 1G RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, Gentoo Linux
      Quicksilver: HP Omnibook 500, PIII 700 MHz, 512MB RAM, 30GB, RedHat Linux 9.

Comment

Yeah none of those worked, but I found a site that used a slightly newer model then the one I had. It had the same video chipset and LCD display, and he figured out how to set it up. I used his modelines and they worked perfectly.

Thanks for the replies though
        Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
        Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
        X