Buget PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buget PC

Looking to build some PC's for an educational institution. Main usage will be to Playback Lessons on DVD. They prefer Intel based systems. With that in mind I have been looking at mobos with integrated audio and graphics based on the following chipsets.

1. ASUS TUSI-M SIS 630ET chipset - Tualatin celeron Capable

2. ASUS P4BGL-VM INTEL 845GL CHIPSET - With P 4 celerons

3. ECS L4S5MG SIS 650 CHIPSET - With P 4 celerons

4. INTEL D815EGEWU INTEL 815E CHIPSET - not celeron Capable

Looking for advice on these and any other Mobos that you might want to suggest within a $ 60.00 - 95.00 price range. Please comment on reliability and best bang for the buck. Thanks.

DJ

If you're an educational institution, I really think it's a mistake to go with intel. Their products can be decent, but they are certainly not a cost-effective solution.

What is this "Playback Lessons"? Is it just a DVD? If so, then you can think about slower processors.

SiS 745 motheboard (onboard sound): $65
    Duron 900: $32 + $5 for fan
    Video card: $20

SiS's AMD motherboard are easily the best cost/benefit out there, but I'm not aware of any with on-board video. But even <I>try</I> to get an Intel motherboard + CPU for under $100.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The ECS K7SEM (SiS740 Chipset) has a Intergrated Video card SIS AND 4x AGP port. They are also MicroATX form factor also.
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Note that he's asking for a P4 solution. As such he should check out the ECS, Asus and MSI mainboards that use the SiS 645 and 650 chipsets.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thanks guys. I am not looking a P 4 solution but a celeron solution. I had suggested Duron systems but they are a bit wary of AMD. Like I said they will mainly be used to play DVD's. They were using VHS previously. Are ECS mobos reliable?

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
            Note that he's asking for a P4 solution. As such he should check out the ECS, Asus and MSI mainboards that use the SiS 645 and 650 chipsets.

Dr. Mordrid
            We where just suggesting that he also take a look at the AMD solutions since he could both get the board and Chip for the price of a Intel motherboard
            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat

What is this "Playback Lessons"? Is it just a DVD? If so, then you can think about slower processors.

SiS 745 motheboard (onboard sound): $65
              Duron 900: $32 + $5 for fan
              Video card: $20
              I built a system for my dad recently using the exact same mobo with a Duron 950 and an *hawk*spit*ATi Radeon VE*spit*
              Other than the ATi card/drivers/both being crap beyond measure, it runs DVDs in fullscreen mode or using TV-Out absolutely perfectly (now using a 2nd hand Voodoo 3000)
              Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Ok, I managed to convince the head honcho to go AMD. Here what I got:

1. ECS K7S5A - $ 55.00

2.AMD DURON 950MHZ - $ 35.00

3. Fan - $ 5.00

Video Card - $30.00

Now if this combo don't work for a solid 3 years I'll, I'll, I'll never take your advice again!!!

DJ
                Last edited by DJ; 17 July 2002, 13:35.

Comment

Working...
                X