MSPro 6.51a DV export to cam issue...possible fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSPro 6.51a DV export to cam issue...possible fix

No guarantees, but Ulead suggests to try running the following command from the Windows START/Run command line;

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead MediaStudio Pro 6.5\dvsf.ax"

Be sure the to include the quotes!!

After this *.ax file is registered to the system Windows should show a success message.

If you do this try exporting again and PLEASE report the results.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 July 2002, 20:45.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Yesterday I spent some time plying about with UMSP 6.51a and this is the result
    on the following setup:

PIII 1 Gig.
    Matrox Marvel G400 - TV
    Creative Audigy this includes IEEE 1394 (Firewire)
    256 Mb RAM
    Via cipset
    Tyan Trinity MB
    Windows 98SE
    Panasonic DV DS28

Digital Import/Export
    ---------------------
    Video Capture module will import DV but will not export.
    Video Editor module will export DV but will not export
    from a set position on the clip, the whole clip will be exported.
    The Camera brand name has been identified but not the model.
    Camera manipulation via software OK.

Analog: No Problems Import/Export

Initialy the software would not recognize DV format but upon resetting
    this has been cleared.

NB.
    No command line statment required for me.

Debbie
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

Hi Doc,

I've been testing this problem with a short (10 second) clip I made about 6 months ago, and a current one hour project that's finished and I've run off a couple copies of to VHS so far. The registry addition doesn't change anything on my machine. They both still send jerky video out the IEEE-1394 line to my DVMC-DA2, and my TRV-9000 without audio, and the audio is present on the sound card output line.

The camcorder faithfully records the jerky video, but no audio. The DVMC-DA2 faithfully converts the jerky video, but not the audio.

But here's some news: In both the patch and the registry addition of the patch, my DVMC-DA2's "protect" light comes on while converting the IEEE-1394 input to analog out. This light will faithfully come on on this device whenever Macrovision is present in the video being converted, in either direction.

This is the bottom layer of Macrovision protection that's present on DVD's, and which will turn on a DVD player's added false sync's, etc., to the outgoing analog signal. Using, for instance, a Sima SCC, I can suppress the Macrovision effect, but it doesn't strip out the basic bottom layer. Consequenly, the DVMC-DA2 will get triggered and the "protect" light will come on.

I can convert this to DV and capture it to my computer, lay it up on MSP6.5, re-render it, and it will still have that basic layer Macrovision "trigger" signal when the source was a DVD played on my newest player. Played back out from the timeline on MSP6.5, this will turn on the "protect" light on my DVMC-DA2, and the SCC will again have to be used to suppress the effects if I want to copy it onto VHS.

Now, my original non-Macrovision protected video is showing up with 6.51a on the IEEE-1394 line out as having some kind of embedded "trigger" that the DVMC-DA2 recognizes as copy protection, and the "protect" light comes on for EVERYTHING I'VE GOT ON THE MACHINE!

When I uninstall MSP6.51a, then re-install MSP6.5, this effect goes away, and the jerky video problem with no audio also goes away.

Are the two phenomena related? I don't know. But with Macrovision "protection" being added to everything that gets sent out my IEEE-1394 line on 6.51a, I have to say that I won't be very interested in any further upgrades from Ulead until this issue is brought out from behind the screen of secrecy that Macrovision has imposed on what has been, up to today, a software company that I've been very happy doing business with.

Macrovision demands and licensing has produced this kind of BS with other software and hardware vendors of desktop video products in the past, so I can't place any of my truly deep seated anger and outrage on Ulead's software development team at all. The Macrovision saga continues along the same line as the MCP in the movie "TRON", sad to say...

Jeff B

Comment

Hi,

Jeff - same results here.

I get a "Copy Inhibit" on my Camcorder screen when trying to record the video only output from the timeline.

Nothing copy protected about my holiday video!?

Regards,

Nick

Comment

Something really strange must be going on here.

I have 2 identical Sony DCR TRV310 cams that as far as I know have always been happy with MSP6.5 - one shows no hassles with the patch (and it just so happens to be the one I normally have connected to the pc and is also the one I initially tested compatibility with the patch ) - the other cam shows jittery/bad export to cam as well as pathetic passthrough to analogue out on the cam.

AND

At the same time, both cams are equally happy with Premiere and Studio.

Also found this little gem noted by one of our Pinnacle users.
          Lawrence

Comment

So, I guess we have a "quorum" now.

It appears that Sony AV products might be affected by the 6.51a patch, in that DV sent back to them from the timeline may trigger the built in copy protection in the camcorder. Per LvR, however, this may not happen with ALL Sony units, since he's saying only one of his two TRV310's is affected with the whole problem (jerky video, no audio, "copy protection" circuit kicked on) with DV timeline playback out the IEEE-1394 port. The other TRV310 works fine on the same computer...

Go figure!

I would venture to guess that the Macrovision is triggered on the Sony device at the outset of the timeline playback, accounting for the delay. During this delay, the external device has triggered Macrovision back to the computer, where the driver is reconfigured to inhibit copying by, in this case, stripping audio. Now the A/V stream going out the IEEE-1394 line is no longer "correct" because there's no audio component which, in turn, makes playback "jerky". Either that or the dividing of Video and Audio to two different devices is taking too much overhead somewhere.

If that, essentially, isn't what's happening, I'll be VERY surprised.

Jeff B

Comment

This is too strange.

I'm going to take the VX1000 home and see if this theory
              holds up.

I'm very curious, now.

Jerry Jones
              I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

Hi

I just had an email from Nick

All working fine for me in PAL land, Sony TRV 110 & 120, Win 2000.

Regards

John

Comment

Ok.

I just returned from my house where I connected my Sony DCR-VX1000 to my AMD / MediaStudio Pro 6.51a system, which uses the ATI DV Wonder board based on an Agere Firewire chipset.

I opened MediaStudio Pro 6.51a with the Sony DCR-VX1000 turned "on."

I checked in the FILE>EXPORT>MS DV RECORD and - yes - it recognized my camcorder as a "Sony," but it did not list a specific model.

I then used the switch menu to open Video Capture and I captured a :30 clip.

I then used INSERT>VIDEO FILE in Video Editor to drop the clip into the timeline.

I made certain that Quick Play and Instant Play were not selected.

I clicked on the preview button and both the video and sound played out via 1394 back through the Sony DCR-VX1000's analog outputs to my external television monitor.

There was a text message in the preview window that said video frames were outputting to the DV camcorder.

Next, I selected instant play and the picture went to the preview window and the sound played through the computer speakers.

It worked properly.

The Macrovision theory is interesting, however.

Perhaps Macrovision is triggered only on *certain models* of Sony camcorders.

I suppose that's a possibility.

But it's not happening with my Sony DCR-VX1000.

Jerry Jones
                  I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

I have yesterday installd Win.2k and UMSP 6.5+Patch. Nothng to add to my previous post further up. I forgot to mention that I am on PAL.

I went back to Win.98SE since I was not all that happy with the performance of the Marvel G400 - TV on Win.2k

Debbie
                    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

Working...
                    X