Multimonitor gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multimonitor gaming

Here's one thing I really want, and the first multimonitor card that gives it to me wins. I want to be able to play games without crashes. I have a G400Max with two monitors. There are a ton of games that won't run at all if I have dualhead enabled, or they'll run but crap out.

Alice - Won't run at all. None of the Quake engine games will run with dualhead.

GTA3 - Runs, but if you move the mouse to the 2nd display & click, the game minimizes & crashes.

Yes, I know that most of the problem is in the game itself, not the card. But I'm grumpy because 50% of the games I try to play have problems. I play games to get away from work, not to make me do more!

On a less hostile note, does anyone know of any good combat fighting games for the PC? I was playing Tekken 4 at a rave last night, and I want more. Preferably a game that'll play decently on my G400M. I've been out of gaming for a couple years, and just getting back in a bit.

Well on the Parhelia, triplehead mode at least is just a single framebuffer spread across three screens, so the game and video drivers effectively see a single big screen, which should simplify things. Don't know whether this is (or can be) the case for Parhelia dualhead or older cards.

Just out of interest, how well does Alice play on the G400Max in single head mode?
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

I almost always have DH active when I play Q3A under W2K. I can't be bothered rebooting to turn it off.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I just have hotkeys assigned to extend/unextend my desktop. Doesn't completely disable dualhead, but still helps to unextend the desktop before playing singlehead games.
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
          Just out of interest, how well does Alice play on the G400Max in single head mode?
          It plays pretty well. I think I've only got it at 800x600, maybe 1024. I don't know FPS offhand, I had to uninstall to save space till my Seagate comes back from RMA.

It's definitely playable with good quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin
            I just have hotkeys assigned to extend/unextend my desktop. Doesn't completely disable dualhead, but still helps to unextend the desktop before playing singlehead games.
            Thanks ... I'll give that a try.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
              I almost always have DH active when I play Q3A under W2K. I can't be bothered rebooting to turn it off.
              How do you get Q3 to work? It always poops on me if I try that. Both Win2k & XP.

Comment

I'm not doing anything special. This has always worked fine for me under Win98 and W2K.

Comment

Originally posted by hans2
                  On a less hostile note, does anyone know of any good combat fighting games for the PC? I was playing Tekken 4 at a rave last night, and I want more. Preferably a game that'll play decently on my G400M. I've been out of gaming for a couple years, and just getting back in a bit.
                  I remember OMF 2097 as one of the best fighting games for pc, it's really old, made in 1994 I think.
                  However you should check out the sequel OMF: Battlegrounds that's coming soon™ for PC.

Btw: I saw that Diversions Entertainment has released OMF: 2097 as freeware.
                  I'll buy a new card Soon™, very Soon™!
                  + =

Comment

Or you can get a Sega Dreamcast (which is sold for almost nothing now) and get: Virtual fighter 3, Dead or Alive 2 etc. But the best you can get is - SoulCalibur !!!

Comment

OMF:2097...
                      It's so good!
                      I used to play it alot.
                      <font size="-4">User error:
                      Replace user and try again.
                      System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
                      System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
                      </font>

Comment

Well if I'd known we were going to go back that far into the mists of time, I'd have mentioned Pray for Death. Graphics look a bit weird (this game could really have used an SVGA mode), but it's great fun, and it flies on my 486-160. Review here: http://www.gamesdomain.co.uk/gdrevie.../pray_for.html You can get it (in the UK anyway) for £5 or so on the Sold-Out label.

OMF was great fun (and my sister absolutely loved it) until I'd bought my fighter perfect skill/speed/armour/etc., and I could breeze through any tournament - then it got somewhat boring. That new one looks good though - if it's out in time, I think it'll be my sister's christmas present. Then I'll steal it back for myself
                        Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

On consoles: I don't have a TV, but I do have TV tuner card in my PC. I'd have to get a console that still uses the RG cable for output. Also, whenever I hook up my VCR to the tuner, I get nasty interference. I think I have a grounding problem.

I might try some emulators, and I'll see if Bleem is functioning enough to make it worthwhile to buy.

Comment

Working...
                          X