No fishies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No fishies

Received my P today. All seemed well except the Reef demo won't run. At all. it bombs out with the message: "The requested display mode (resolution and/or refresh rate) is not available...". It seems unlikely since I'm trying to run the demo at 1024x768x32x85hz while running Windows at 1024x768x32x85hz. I tried changing settings (ie, other refresh rates, lower memory, no FAA) in the Reef config, but to no avail.

Also, I ran 3DMark2k1 build 330, and it won't run at 1024x768x32 - it doesn't list it as an available mode - it gives every other 32 bit resolution and 1024x768 (and others) at 16bit.

V. Strange.

Any suggestions? I really would like to see the Reef demo in action.

FWIW, I'm running W2KSP2, the drivers that came with the P(retail), Athlon 950 on an ABIT kt7a-raid (with fairly recent VIA drivers), 256MB memory. P is currently running in Single Head + TV (DVD-Max). Primary display is a Sony Multiscan 200sx

Cheers

Alex

Try downloading one of the newer drivers from Matrox and see where it gets you.

Comment

Welcome to the forum AlexK.

I believe the demo is limited to 1024*768 and 2400*600 for triplehead.

I can't help you with the other problem cause I haven't got a P yet.
      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

KeiFront,

Thanks, I think maybe I wasnt very clear. I am already running at 1024*768 (which the demo is indeed limited to), but the demo refuses to initialise at that res. Similarly, 3D Mark will not run at 1024x768 in 32 bit, but it will in 16bit and in all other resolutions at 32bit. V.Strange.

Tmservo, I'm d/ling the driver update at the moment - but 56kbit dialup connection. Painful.

Comment

Right, I've installed the latest drivers from the Matrox website. No change.

I've discovered that when I go to Display Properties|Settings|Advanced|Adapter and click on List all modes, 1024x768@32bit is conspicuously absent. It lists 640x480 up to 1280x1024 at 32bit (except 1024x768), and 640x480 upwards in 16bit. Quite why 1024x768 should be absent is a mystery.

Curiously, when I now go to display properties and use the resolution slider up to 1024, it forces the bit depth down to 16 in the drop down box. This definitely didnt happen when I first installed the board - as I remember it being at 1024 and stating 32bit when I tried out the gigacolor viewer.

Basically, if anything, the situation is worse now than when I started! Woe is me.

Comment

Mmm does the Matrox uninstall programme work on P drivers. If it does I would suggest running that and then try re-installing the new ones.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
              Mmm does the Matrox uninstall programme work on P drivers. If it does I would suggest running that and then try re-installing the new ones.
              The BBz said using the Add/remove program in control panel was fine for uninstalling drivers.
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Mmm the only way to verify that if anyone has got a list of files installed by Matrox and check to see if they gone afterwards.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I've got a similar problem. I can run the reef demo, but the Imperium Galactica demo won't run. It just flashes the outline of a window on the screen & immediately exits with no explaination. I've tried running it from the command line, and it doesn't even print anything to the console. The funny thing is it's exiting cleanly- no Dr. Watson.
                  Mike

Comment

Result! It worked! Not entirely sure how or why, but there you go.

Cheers

Alex

Comment

What did you do ???
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

When you select what res/refresh the demo is going to run in, you MUST select the same refresh rate that Powerdesk is set to use.
                        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

You must set your Powerdesk settings to a 16 Bit color depth. I can also not run IG3 Demo if I have selected a 32 bit color mode. I have no idea why, but I hope this is a bug in the driver, which gets soon fixed.

Comment

No, I run the reef demo with my desktop at 32bit all the time.
                            You just need to be sure the refresh rate set in the demo matches the refresh rate at that same res/color depth in powerdesk.
                            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

- I used Refresh Lock to 'unlock' the limited Refresh Rates. And PowerDesk changed with it. I havnt encountered any problems with my Parhelia. Though i did do a fresh install of Windows. -
                              - ? -

Comment

Working...
                              X