Samsung/C-Cube SVCD players on the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung/C-Cube SVCD players on the way

The new Samsung players will do DVD, Chaoji VCD, SuperVCD, VCD, CD-DA, and MP3 for both NTSC and PAL.

http://www.c-cube.com/pr_detail.fcfm?pr_id=276

Looks like the flood has started with C-Cube the main instigator with its ZiVA-4 chipset.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 19 June 2000).]

I would hope that when I someday buy a set top DVD player that it will play anything that even looks like a CD, so I'm glad to see that new units are heading in that direction.

Comment

I guess the next question ought to be will they build in support in the laser pickup & transport to cope with all the variants of CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW etc. So no matter what disc you put in or what colour it is, it should be able to read all our home made disks as well.

It's good that the C-cube chip can do everything but if the player can't get the data to it then it won't even have a chance.

I'll give them a year or so then hopefully by the time the DVD-R machines come down in price there will be enough players that can read them without any problems.

James

Comment

Since MP3 CDs are recorded on CD-Rs it must be able to play them. My friend has a Samsung 709 and it does play SVCD CD-Rs but not CD-RW. All DVDs players should play DVD-Rs but some have a problem with the newer 4.7GB rather than the 3.95GB discs (Pioneer were going to publish a list of compatible drives/players but don't know if they ever did)

Comment

Just as a note: This isn't that new. I have had an Apex AD-600A since March or so, and it plays everything I throw at it, be it on any CD-R or CD-RW including Mp3 discs, vcd, vbr vcd (haven't tried the SVCDs yet, but I can assume they also work), normal cds, audio cds on cd-r, and dvds. There are dozens of clones of the Apex out there that can also do the same thing. The only standard I know of that it won't support is the old CD Video standard from the laserdisc days. (then again, I don't have any)
          As a note: It uses an ESS chipset.

Comment

Samsung is already selling MP-3 enabled DVD-players (611, 711) in Belgium and the Netherlands (for those who understand dutch : http://www.samsung.nl/PRODUCTEN/BEELD_GE/DVD711.htm)
            Strangely enough nothing can be found on the international Samsung website concerning these players.
            I'm not sure whether those players include this ZiVA-4 chipset, since apparently Samsung has recently announced a new generation of DVD-machines: Extiva, http://samsungelectronics.com/products/dvdp/dvdp.html, which should even support 3D-gaming !
            Anyway, I decided not to buy this Samsung DVD-711 player, since I could not find any additional info, and I heard Samsungs DVD players had a questionable reputation.
            So I choose for the Pioneer DV-525, which does not play MP3's, but does play VCD, SVCD, XVCD, ...

[This message has been edited by MarkD (edited 22 June 2000).]
            AMD-K6-2-300, EPOX-58MVP3C-M,
            Marvel G400, 64MB+64MB(PC100+PC133), Maxtor DM40PLUS 30GB,
            W98 (no SE), currently no overclocking (FSB=100)

Comment

Working...
            X