Any ideas for a Display for HTPC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas for a Display for HTPC?

Well....after doing a lot of thinking, I've decided to go all out and just build an HTPC system. I've been spending a lot of time over at AVS forums getting info and asking questions, etc. I wanted to ask about what the general opinion over here is about getting a good display. These are the requirements:

-Has to be at least 40"
    -Needs to be HDTV ready
    -Must support a 16:9 ratio
    -Must support multiple resolutions (would do this via powerstrip I guess)
    -Would like 2D desktop text to be readable at higher resolutions

That's about it. My budget is $2700, though that's a relative figure right now. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've done a little research myself and found a few displays here. Thanks for any help.
    System Specs:
    Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
    May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
    Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
    And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
    just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
    For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Wow....I leave for a week and find that no one responds when I get back...
    System Specs:
    Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Comment

Largely because HDTV is a volatile standard. I think it's still too early to touch.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hi Buddman,

Monitors are like speakers, you need to go to the store and check it out for yourslef, find out which ones look good to you and then compare them online with features that you are interested in. I personally have a 40" Toshiba HDTV. It's a Rear Projection TV(PRTV). All of your requirements mentioned above will be met with any HDTV. I plan on buying the Radeon 9700 AIW when it comes out and it currently is the only video card(radeon 8500 too) that supports component(HDTV) out. I paid ~$2000 a little over a year ago, so you can get a fairly nice setup for ~$2700.
        If I were you, I'd save some of that ~$2700 for calibrating the set after you buy it. Cost you about $300 for the basic calibration. Also, don't buy from Bestbuy. Go to a REAL home theatre store and at the very least, go to Good guys and get it.

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

BuddMan,

What are you looking at for a HTPC? I'm personally going with a Shuttle SS51 when it comes out with a PIV 1.6A (gonna overclock it ) and a Radeon 8500DV AIW. I plan using it for Secondary PC/LAN box/file Server in addition to a HTPC.
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

GT98, the specs are not definate. It'll have to wait until Spring until I build it. I'm interested in Serial ATA, AMD's new 64-bit chip, and either Parhelia or ATI. Maybe Matrox will have a refresh of the Parhelia out by then. I definately want to go all out on it though. Can't wait to get started on it.

I still need some help with the display though, so any help would be appreciated. If you guys want, just list your HTPC displays that you own or have seen and liked. Thanks.
            System Specs:

Comment

Working...
            X