No more Microsoft VM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more Microsoft VM?

I just re-installed XP on my laptop after a meltdown, and I just noticed something strange. I went to a web page with some java on it, and got the standard Install on Demand dialog listing the Java VM. I clicked on Download, and was forwarded to a web page stating
    We're sorry. Automatic installation of Microsoft Virtual Machine is no longer provided for Microsoft Windows XP.
    So I then went to http://www.microsoft.com/java/download.htm and found this:
    The Microsoft VM update for Windows is no longer available at this site. Please visit Windows Update (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com) to see if a Microsoft VM update is available for your operating system.
    So does that mean that microsoft is no longer providing a VM? That sucks! It was always way faster than the sun VM, and seemed more stable too. Screw compatibility, I want it back.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

try here,
    This download fixes known security issues with Microsoft Java Virtual Machine (JVM) and can be applied to Windows 95, 98, Me, NT or XP (but not Windows 2000). Please note that even though JVM was not included with the original release of XP, it is now part of Windows XP SP1. However, the XP SP1 […]

Comment

I found the same, but thanks to MSDN I obtained a copy of it... hmmm, should I really be thanking them? ah, who knows?!?

I don't doubt that this is part of MS's extraction of all things Java from the Windows OS.
      Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

M$ has never ever really understood the term "Others Standards" compared to "Our standards" at the most they can understand "Others standards that we modifie into our own standard"
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

They're also really good at "we published this standard ourselves, but we implement it differently."
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

hehe, excellent Mr McKinley
            Meet Jasmine.
            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Finally found a definitive answer to this.

http://www.microsoft.com/java/xp.htm. It'll be included in SP1.
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
              X