Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to "Solve" a problem the right way or the wrong way or just skip it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to "Solve" a problem the right way or the wrong way or just skip it!

I moved last year and when My NLE was actually up and running again (OS change HW change, long story), I got strong interference problems.

Q. Why?

A. Long damn cable.

S. Get a shielded cable.

Conclusion: Shielded damn long cable not shielded enough....

Lets revise that!!

Q. Why?

A. Long damn cable.
    S. Move The VCR!!! (unplug Scart 1&2, Rfin, Rfout, Power, walk 14 feet, plug power, scart and start editing)

C. Easy cost effective solution that probably works!
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Talking about interference…

History:

My first PC was an 8086 CPU, 8MB RAM, 20 MB HD.
    I tried to run RTTY (Radio Tele Type) at 14 MHz Radio amateur band. The input power was 150W.

Problem Hitting the key “A” displayed on the screen “U”. Hitting “U” displayed “X”, or something.

Solution: More shields and grounding the boxes.

Result: Partially solved the problems.

Later story:

New computer: a P90.
    Hints from my first experience: Well grounded boxes, antistatic and grounded carpet on the table.

Result: I could run my HAMradio equipment and the computer without any problem.

Unexpected effects: A stormy day I thought I am Benjamin Franklin. The lightning went from the antenna-well shielded coax-transmitter-COM2port/Joystick/computerPSU and left everything via the grounded antistatic carpet (thickness 2mm) to the ground rod. ( And lucky me, I went away to close a window just in that millisecond).
    The cost: High. Very high...

Final solution:
    I thought computers and video editing is funnier and I removed my antennas, transceivers and I skipped the radio amateur hobby.

What will be the next problem?

Fred H
    It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
    ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hi Fred,

You skipped the amateur radio hobby? Aw c'mon! Once a ham, always a ham...

Jeff B
      KA1OGM

Comment

A bit off-topic...

Hi Jeff
        No, not skipped, just temporarely
        I must setup another antenna, but I do not hunt DX anymore. Own a DXCC already.

Nice to hear that you are a HAM.
        Vy 73! and best regards from

Fred H
        SM6JNA

Comment

Uppdate:

I have now conected the VCR and the interference problems is gone

Fred H:

I had a radiocard in my computer once but driver support was nill so I removed it
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

More off topic...

Technoid:
            To avoid misunderstanding, I never had a radio card in my computer until now, when I installed my 11GHz Orinoco WLAN card, last year, only for internet.
            As a radio amateur I run standalone transceivers covering all the radio amateur bands: 3.5-7-14-21 and 28 MHz and an input power about 150W. No drivers needed.
            Those transceivers have nothing to do with computers, and when I started, somewhere at the early 1960, then I couldn’t even dream about computers.
            History, nice history…

Fred H
            SM6JNA (ex.YO2ARU)

Comment

arg... cant get the grounding problem over and done with......... fried to Gxxx cards already..... ....... have to work single head NLE now
              ... ah well.. maybe i will eventualy figure this out as the electricians dont seem to anything here...
              "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Working...
              X