To Hell with Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Hell with Bill

I decided to dump WMP 7.1 after reading more about the latest EULA concerns and reports of spyware. The uninstall left me with WMP 6.4 which doesn't seem to go away when I remove Windows Media Services. I assume that WMP 6.4 is still "infected" since Windows Update doesn't prompt me to install the latest "security" patch. I'm left with a few options that come to mind:
    1. Fresh OS install
    2. Use non-MSFT media player
    3. Dump all MSFT products including the OS

1. Fresh OS install
    I've been considering switching from W2K-AS to W2K-Pro and a new OS install would rid me of these latest concerns but I'd have to scrutinize all of the updates to make sure they haven't been modified to include some similar nastiness. Is anyone aware of any updates I should be wary of besides the "Q320920: Security Update"? I've got a feeling that MSFT is going to be sneaking in DRM/spyware code into many of its patches. I don't trust that the EULAs and patch documentation will always alert me to "features" that I don't want in my system.

2. Use non-MSFT media player
    Any recommendations on a free media player? Free would be nice but I'd pay for something that could play all of the well known formats including Windows Media files. This is the most likely path that I'd take.

3. Dump all MSFT products including the OS
    Maybe its time to finally start learning Linux. I've been considering playing with Linux for professional reasons so this would be a good excuse to dive in. I know I'd have to give up a lot of things and I do have an investment in various Windows applications files. This would probably have to be a slow migration process and not a near-term solution.

Any enlightened feedback on these issues would be appreciated.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Well I would certainly stay away from any updates from Microsoft, esp SP1 for XP when it comes out. However, they are saying that the Corporate Edition (pirated one) that so many people have all share the same CD key for the most part, so they said that any that have that certain CD key will not be able to use SP1. I wonder which OEM has actually used the pirated version though....one of them had to use it. Gonna be some pissed customers if that's the case.
    System Specs:
    Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
    May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
    Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
    And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
    just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
    For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

I don't know of any reason to consider XP. I would like to update a fresh install of W2K since there has been many valid updates to fix bugs and close vulnerabilities. My concern is to not inadvertently include any of the big brother SW features.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

You might want to try Sasami 2k media player. It is free and have some cool features.

Comment

Instead of ditching M$ , you can always ditch the Internet Or should I say Inter.net (read: inter-dot-net))?

As things are going lately, the world will have Palladium equipped computers (silly me, I always thought Palladium were commando shoes), running M$ OS and connected through the Inter.net .
          Of course half our monthy sallary will be paid through verious license agrements to M$, our cmputers will give us only 1/10th of their true power cause M$ will be allowed to use our CPU, HDD and almost anything else connected to our computer (through their EULA) to run stuff from afar.

In 1984, the "Big brother" watched you, in 2004, M$ won't even let you flush the tiolet

Comment

Thanks Fogel ... I remember hearing good things about that player. I'll check it out.

Dogbert, et.al. ... I don't want this thread turning into political commentary. There's plenty of good threads like the AVS DRM thread to read on that subject. I'm trying to solve a problem today with today's options.

Comment

Cant complain about Sasami2K here either - it has served me well and seems to be totally happy with the type of work I do on my Matrox hardware and is also happy with the Pinnacle stuff I normally run.

Have taken to PowerDVD lately, and simply love the XP flavour - even at the price.
              Lawrence

Comment

WMP 6.4 has no spyware attached. It's just a little frontend for directshow, just like Sasami (although I prefer Sasami).

However, this is another case of people being too damned paranoid about stuff.

Turn off the reporting from WMP, and just use it. Jeez. If you're THAT concerned, install Zone Alarm.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                  WMP 6.4 has no spyware attached. It's just a little frontend for directshow, just like Sasami (although I prefer Sasami).
                  This is the type of information I was trying to elicit. I figured I'd be hearing from you.

However, this is another case of people being too damned paranoid about stuff.
                  Well you know the old joke about being paranoid ...
                  I was dismayed that the automatic SW download wasn't detailed in the security bulletin but only snuck into the legalese of the EULA. This maneuver has lessened my trust of MSFT SW even more than before.

Turn off the reporting from WMP, and just use it.
                  I don't see any reporting options in 6.4. I had always run WMP 7 with paranoid settings but perhaps that isn't enough if you can believe some of the rumours.

Jeez. If you're THAT concerned, install Zone Alarm.
                  I had just looked over my Linksys outgoing log and saw a couple things on the HTTP stream that I couldn't explain. You're right that I should investigate enhancing the firewall.

Comment

Sygate is always telling me that "WINNT Kernel" is trying to connect to the internet for some reason. For what reason does it need to? I refuse it permission. And why does every movie file now need its own "codec" for some reason? I remember when any player would play any mpg or avi file. Now WMP (6.4) needs to download some shit just to get anything to play. There is something awfully fishy going on, and who among us really knows the full extent of it?

Apparently Microsoft has become a real menace to society. From their inception they have been a bunch of thieves and sleazebags, and now they are powerful ones, overstepping their bounds into areas which by any sane person would be called felonious. Gurm, I really don't know what your motives are for always defending the pricks, but that's part of the problem. The vast majority of people who use computers are blissfully unaware of the things Microsoft is doing, and even those who are can't keep track of all the shit they could be hiding on our computers.

Microsoft is the enemy, pure and simple. And since they use every sneaky way to attack their own customers, they no longer deserve to have any. There must be enough people who cannot be bought by their crap to invigorate an OS such as FreeBSD/XFree86 into something easily usable by everyone. It's time for Microsoft to be taught that they are just a software vendor, not the masters of the universe.

If you can manage to dump them completely, I will applaud you in every way, xortam.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                      Sygate is always telling me that "WINNT Kernel" is trying to connect to the internet for some reason. For what reason does it need to? I refuse it permission. And why does every movie file now need its own "codec" for some reason? I remember when any player would play any mpg or avi file. Now WMP (6.4) needs to download some shit just to get anything to play. There is something awfully fishy going on, and who among us really knows the full extent of it?

Apparently Microsoft has become a real menace to society. From their inception they have been a bunch of thieves and sleazebags, and now they are powerful ones, overstepping their bounds into areas which by any sane person would be called felonious. Gurm, I really don't know what your motives are for always defending the pricks, but that's part of the problem. The vast majority of people who use computers are blissfully unaware of the things Microsoft is doing, and even those who are can't keep track of all the shit they could be hiding on our computers.

Microsoft is the enemy, pure and simple. And since they use every sneaky way to attack their own customers, they no longer deserve to have any. There must be enough people who cannot be bought by their crap to invigorate an OS such as FreeBSD/XFree86 into something easily usable by everyone. It's time for Microsoft to be taught that they are just a software vendor, not the masters of the universe.

If you can manage to dump them completely, I will applaud you in every way, xortam.
                      *Stands up and applauds*
                      System Specs:
                      Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
                      May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
                      Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
                      And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
                      just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
                      For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn

Problem is will take years to remove the Microshaft monopoly. Most docs, spreadsheets, etc are written under office apps and are the industry standard. Sure theres star office but you want something thats 100% compatable and Microshaft will put coding to break star office if they feel they losing Market share.

If Linux does manage to start proving a major problem I could Microshaft releasing Microsoft linux and the average Joe will start using that as it's background they're familer with.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT

Problem is will take years to remove the Microshaft monopoly.
                          All it would take would be a president with cajones. Unfortunately, GWB has shown no signs of the guts (or bad manners) it would take to face off against any campaign contributor.

There is the greater good to be considered, though. Thank God for Teddy Roosevelt and what he did by busting up monopolies.. I wish GWB could follow his example.

If Linux does manage to start proving a major problem I could Microshaft releasing Microsoft linux and the average Joe will start using that as it's background they're familer with.
                          Sure, they stole from Apple (after Jobs stole from Xerox).. why not? It's not as though they would get in trouble. The US government has become the shrimpy tagalong bully-worshipper we all remember from grade school.. backing up the bad guys while they beat up the defenseless. No wonder there are so many anti-government people out there...

Comment

It's not GWB's <I>guts</I> that are lacking, but rather his brains, and where his loyalties lay.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I know this is a moot point,
                              but the original MS-DOS was BOUGHT...not stolen
                              -mungu

"She won't last forever, so why buy her diamonds?"

Comment

Working...
                              X