Serial ATA Beginning to Appear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial ATA Beginning to Appear

Well, since my original thread on Serial ATA was deleted...I mean, eaten by the "Phantom Post Eater," looks like I'll start another thread on it. New info as it looks like the first mobo for Serial ATA has been announced. Story is here.
    System Specs:
    Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
    May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
    Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
    And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
    just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
    For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Asus are making a motherboard that uses it and are including an adaptor for people using the older drives.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Spindle Speeds

I wish the spindle speeds of IDE disks to take advantage of these interfaces.

Comment

I'm surprised they haven't increased the spindle speed to help try and fill up the udma5/6 spec.
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I'm not surprised. Faster drives are difficult to cool.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

They do it for scsi why not ide drives. Come to that scsi hard drives prices are falling pretty quickly at the moment. Or will scsi hard drives be killed off like the cd,cdrw.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

*sigh*

The fastest SCSI drives in the world can't deliver enough data to fill up even U100, nevermind U133 or S-ATA.

Why bother?

(KIDDING. I KNOW why to bother. Jeez.)

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Yes I know that but increasing the spindle speed and area denisty would improve transfer speed if you get my drift.
                How fast is serial going to be anyway??
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

You're missing my point TP. Those 10K and 15K drives require their own cooling, or they die in 6-12 months.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                    You're missing my point TP. Those 10K and 15K drives require their own cooling, or they die in 6-12 months.
                    not necesseraly(sp?) true. i had a 9GB 10K IBM for more than a year (bought it used, was already ~2 years old) running in a block of foam with almost no air circulation. no problems at all.
                    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

I've got an 18GB 10K IBM I've yet to use, need to get that U160 SCSI card

P.
                      Meet Jasmine.
                      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Okay they need extra cooling but theres probably a market for it.
                        Will serial ATA provide better transfer rates or will be just another number crunching excerise.
                        By the way I said try and fill up the 100/133 spec I know hard disks today can't do it.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

My big question is: Does Serial ATA allow simultanious reads and writes?

Jammrock
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Tom's hardware guide... sucks?

- Gurm
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X