No announcement yet.

Is it ok to buy AMD based motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it ok to buy AMD based motherboard?

I've been out of the technological loop for a while and want to get into video editing again. Has the AMD / VIA m/b worked out compatibility bugs it used to have with matrox video capture hardware...I'll buy intel if I have to but prefer the "little" guy AMD.

If so, what AMD m/b would you folks recommend. I'd like to have RAID if poss, and USB2 is nice....any thoughts.

thank you

Check out Jerrold Jones' thread on the subject here:

Kevin

Comment

thanks...hmmm...pci latency in via chipsets does not sound too positive for getting an AMD board...but would that be corrected if using a 1800+ athlon though...

Comment

If you are going to be serious about video, dually is the way. The dual AMD's use an AMD chipset and bypass the VIA issue. The AMD platform will beat the pants off of Intel dollar for dollar, and has astonishing floating point scores.

Comment

SiS based motherboards are a good option when using AMD CPU's.

Dr M. had some good words to say about the ECS K7S6A.... http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33577

Comment

I strongly dispute the advice to go dual CPU for video!

I have a dually, its benefits are for interactive use or heavily loaded server applications. For video or photoshop you are better off putting the extra cost into your pocket or getting a faster CPU, more RAM and more disk space.

I'd certainly agree that Via is the last choice in chipsets -- I'm using one now in my 1.4GHz T-bird that works very well for editing with MSP6.5, but it was way too much 4-in-1 driver version BS to get there for me to ever try another!

--wally.

Comment

Dualies are a waste of money, in my opinion.

Adobe Premiere is supposed to support them, but there was an article published by Jeff Zack in a recent issue of Camcorder & Computer Video magazine where he tested the difference between an AMD dual processor computer and a single processor computer and the difference was negligible.

Good AMD chipsets:

1. Nvidia NForce
              2. SIS 745
              3. SIS 735

...and...

...if you can solve the problems that sometimes plague VIA chipsets they can work, too.

My favorite right now is the NVIDIA.

Jerry Jones
              I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

What Jerry said.

The only caveat on dual procs is if you are doing some serious MPEG encoding. If you can afford a separate box just for that, then a dual proc system might make sense. (Even so, confirm that your encoder of choice supports dual procs.)

I know that now that I am starting to ramp up my DVD creation, I'm seriously pining for a dedicated encoding PC. Tying up your main PC for 20 hours is a big drag.

Comment

Notice Ulead was prominently mentioned in the latest AMD press release concerning the Athlon XP2200+.

Jerry Jones
                  I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

Enabling multiproc in TMPGEnc on my dual P-III 500 box makes it still a bit slower to encode than on my P-III 800 single CPU. Both have BX chipsets.

What I can do on the dualie is have TMPGEnc run while I do other things and hardly notice its cranking away.

Again, even on a dedicated box for mpeg encoding I think you are better getting the fastest single CPU, faster RAM, bigger hard drive. If you've maxed out all of the above, then dual CPU is the only game in town for a marginal improvement.

--wally.

Comment

Jerrold, here is where I disagree about Dual CPU's.

If you have a Matrox RT.X100 you will be able to get aprox 5-10 frames per second faster renders with a dual AMD system that a single AMD board.

I have two systems...

1-A single AMD 2000+ on an MSI KT333 Ultra with 512 mb PC2700 ram
                      2-Dual AMD 1800+ on a Tyan S2460 board with 1 gig ram

Using Premiere with Matrox RT.X100, the dual AMD system would initially start the process slower that the single AMD system, but would quickly surpass it shortly after.

The rendering is faster even if the dual 1800's are slower than the single AMD 2000 system.

If the software or hardware takes advatgaes of dual CPUs then it's a dream!

Although , I agree Premiere on it's own is a dog with or without a dual PCU system.

Regards,
                      Elie

Comment

Dual AMD 1800MPs vs single XP1900 vs Intel P4 2GHz Northwood

All systems had 512MB ram, DDR2100 CL2 and RAMBUS800 for P4. Asus mainboards for all.

Encoder: CinemaCraft SP. Supports dual, SSE, 3D now... File to encode is Canopus-DV encoded (see www.tecoltd.com), decode time is included in measurement. VBR 3 PASS encode at DVD MP@ML with light prefiltering, no deinterlacing.

P4 is a piece of expensive junk - my Celeron 1200 Tualatin runs just as fast, and takes almost 4x realtime.

Single XP1900 beats the crap out of the much faster clocked P4 at slightly more than 2x realtime.

Dual 1800MPs take that time under 1,5x realtime. Not double the speed of the XP1900, but a serious speedboost anyway.

I don't have the exact times with me, in interested I can look them up at home and post them.

Neko

Comment

There is also the AMD 761 chipset, on my Giga-Byte GA7DXR,
                          working fine for a few months now, built in RAID controller
                          captures full frame HuffYUV with no hiccups.

But be warned on AMD: you will be seated next to a Boeing
                          707 on takeoff with all the fan noise. I have revived my
                          old 486-100 for web surfing in peace and quiet.

Comment

The SiS based 745 (and soon 746) chipsets work flawless for Video editing (gaming and everything else). Both Doc (ECS) and I have them.

See sig
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I have a VIA KT266a chipset without a problem. Of course that could just be luck, the KT133a also worked fairly well for me. Dual CPU is great if the SW supports it, but the inital cost is prohibitive for me. And yes you will be expereincing hearing loss with the cooling that AMD's need if you don't plan well. I was extremely displeased with the heat issues at first, but I got around it with some research and some ingenuity. Bottom line is get a good cooler, not a cheap one or even one that looks neat, do some research and get one with good cooling and very low dB. The Silverado by noisecontrol is a good example of very quiet effective cooling.

Mine is fast, cool and very stable. Of course I am using an ATI card as well, so most here would discount my posts as codswallop. (I've been dying to use that word again .
                              WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Working...
                              X