English language question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English language question

I've noticed that our FanBoy, when comparing things, use "then"...
    Wasn't it "than"
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Hadn't spotted it but when comparing things, object x would be bigger/smaller/whatever thAn object y.

Dave
    Don't make me angry...

Comment

Yep, like: Windows XP is marginally better thAn being dropped into a box full of angry Ornithorhynchus anatinus.
      Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 10 July 2002, 11:58.

Comment

Many English speakers need to be more careful in this. Than/then, to/too/two, they're/their/there.. all these concepts seem to be difficult for some people.

Comment

i need to quit writin in typin slang
          www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Yeah, you also have to give up those delusions of being British.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Sorry for my misuse of the English Langauge. I'm I horrible speller at times also and I find often that the brain is often way ahead of the fingers when it comes to typing out a reply and I often miss a word here and there that ties the sentance together
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                Yeah, you also have to give up those delusions of being British.

ouch
                www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Go easy on Lizzie eh guys - after all they don't even speak English where she hails from

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
                    I find often that the brain is often way ahead of the fingers when it comes to typing out a reply and I often miss a word here and there that ties the sentance together
                    Yeah, that is weird. That also happens to me. I'm typing out the words (as I say them in my head) and looking at the screen....but after I'm done and re-read the statements, sometimes I find out I skipped typing a word or two here and there. Or I end up typing this instead of that, on instead of in, if instead of of...stuff like that.
                    RC Agent
                    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz, MSI 785GT-E63, 6 GB(2x1GB, 2x2GG) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Asus EAH4850 TOP
                    AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz, ASRock A790GXH/128M BIOS 1.7, 4 GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Gigabyte HD 6850 1GB DDR5
                    AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 BIOS 2501 , 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 Crucial BallisticX(BLT4G3D1869DT1TX0) , Sapphire HD7870 2GB GDDR5 OC, Seasonic 850w powers supply

Comment

Hey, hey!

That was not a judgment on anybody...

I have asked it because in Italian it's nearly impossible doing something like that, so I have thougth (I hate this word...where the hell the h goes??) that it was a normal slang that I didn't know. ^__^

Sorry, GT98
                      Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

It's thought.

'ght' is a common ending for English, like in "night," "light," and "fought."

It's not slang, it's just poor English that is far too common.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

one of the most difficult words for me is thourough or sth.
                          no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

thorough?

Comment

My killer problem, is typing in the morning before my 5th cup of coffee
                              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Working...
                              X